Transition into real world will leave U of I traditions behind

By Jill Lowthian

Homecoming, Quad Day, Unofficial, bar crawls – just some of the many Illinois traditions seniors may never experience again.

After spending four or more years here, one senior said they will miss the orange-filled football stadium and the normalcy of going to six bars in one night.

“(I’m going to miss) Illini tailgating and Unofficial,” said Ankie Nguyen, senior in LAS, “Not because of the drinking, but because of the campus-wide participation.”

Seniors may also miss the Illinois community and group of friends they have formed over the past few years.

“I’ll miss being able to walk places and hanging out with friends,” said Regina Rekus, senior in ACES.

“I’ll miss living in a house with all of my friends,” said Evan Dorner, senior in Music. Different living situations and lack of college sporting events are probably not the things that will be the most difficult for seniors to adjust to, however.

“I think a lot of students have a hard time with being a student and going to classes to then going and working an 8-5 job,” said Damian Lay, assistant director of the Career Center.

The Career Center offers a workshop called “Career Paths: Making the Next Step” to help seniors make the transition.

“(The workshop) kind of just goes over what to expect during the transition period,” Lay said.

The Center also offers other workshops to help seniors through their transition, such as “Researching Career Opportunities” and “Networking Your Job Search.”

“(It will be hard) having to be inside 8-5 and not laying on the Quad,” Nguyen said, who will start working in Chicago the Monday after graduation.

Despite apprehensions about working a full-time job, Nguyen is also looking forward to the change.

“I’m excited about living in the city and not having homework due,” Nguyen said. “(It will be) a different kind of responsibility.”

Rekus, who will also work in Chicago, will have to commute from home until she saves enough money to move.

“I’m excited about moving to the city,” Rekus said.

Although she will miss the traditions at Illinois, Rekus will not have a problem leaving other things behind after graduation.

“I won’t miss having only one reading day to prepare for finals,” Rekus said.

Dorner, who said he will most miss the Chief, is looking forward to a change in scenery, he said.

“I won’t miss all of the drunken screaming at people,” Dorner said.