Is it better to brave the crowds and cold or click a mouse?

By Jill Disis

Despite economic trends that predict holiday shopping will see a decline this year, it is unlikely that stores will see much of a significant problem as students, families, couples, and co-workers surf the Internet and hit the streets looking for the perfect gift.

Many consumers will instead be dealing with the problem of making a different kind of choice: shopping indoors or shopping online.

Online shopping conglomerates such as Amazon generate billions of dollars in revenue per year, much of it during the Q4 holiday sales spike. Sally Fouts, spokesperson for Amazon, said this year was just as busy and they expected much revenue during the holiday season.

“Clearly convenience is a huge factor,” Fouts said. “You can price compare, and it’s fast and inexpensive. You’re not constrained by store shelves.”

Fouts said online shopping presents an unmatched selection of products and the customer has the ability to do more research online.

However, local retail industries see a different kind of story.

“It’s about the store experience, Christmas, and shopping for the holidays,” said Anna Anderson, store manager at Pitaya.

Despite the desire for a “store experience,” Anderson said the store is still bracing for a less-than-demanding holiday season.

“I’m sure that there will be fewer customers,” Anderson said. “We shorten our hours and there are fewer people on the street.”

Anderson said the slower season can be attributed to the absence of many college students during break as well as the cold and windy weather experienced in late November and during December.

Some local students said they still preferred the in person experience despite having to endure winter conditions.

Rebecca Choi, freshman in LAS, said some difficulties in online shopping involve waiting for the page to load and the inability to see the exact object you are paying for.

“It’s fun itself, shopping in person,” Choi said.

Sharon Xavioer, sophomore in LAS, said she liked to see what she wanted before she bought it, and that shopping in person brought a more personal feeling to her experience.

“I like to be with other people,” Xavioer said.

Even so, some students said they would rather opt to shop online and away from the cold instead of trying to go out and do everything in person.

“Definitely from home,” said James Grady, freshman in LAS. “It’s much easier and you don’t have to deal with traffic.”

Even with customers choosing convenience, some students said tradition and experience will still keep people in the stores.

You Bin Cha, freshman in LAS, said she enjoyed the atmosphere of a traditional store.

“It just feels more Christmasy,” Cha said.