Dish of the Week: Candied Sweet Potatoes

Candied sweet potatoes simmer until their middles are soft. The dish can be served right out of the skillet.

By Annabeth Carlson

With fall break quickly approaching, I have found myself daydreaming in class about all food of Thanksgiving’s past.

I can hear the whir of the electric carving knife as my dad cuts his classic turkey and my grandpa’s smoked version. Each year, I elect myself judge of both, eager to get a preview of the succulent meat and my mom’s savory gravy. Simply imagining the bitter tanginess of my aunt’s cranberry sauce and the crunch of her green bean casserole, I have to stop myself from salivating in class.

But perhaps the one dish that feels the most like home is my grandma’s candied sweet potatoes. It’s what makes the annual holiday meal so memorable. Just as a warning, these aren’t exactly healthy for you. However, that is what the holidays are about: enjoying food, family and comfort. If you follow the recipe below, you will know exactly what I mean.

Candied sweet potatoes

Servings: 6

Ingredients:

6 medium sweet potatoes

1 cup white sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)

2 tablespoons water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Scrub sweet potatoes, but do not peel. Place the potatoes in a 3-quart saucepan. Add just enough water to cover the potatoes. Boil the water and then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes. Cool and peel off skins. Cut potatoes into 1-2 inch slices.

2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large skillet. Heat over medium heat until the consistency is smooth. Add potatoes. Gently stir until they are glazed. Reduce heat to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. Continue to stir and/or flip slices without breaking into pieces. Potatoes are done when middles are soft — check with a fork.

3. Serve hot right out of the skillet and enjoy!

Annabeth is a freshman in Media. She can be reached at [email protected].