Illini women’s track and field finishes with six top-three finishes at Meyo Invitational

By Nicholas Fortin

After a two-week break the Illinois women’s track team was able to continue its success with six top-three finishes at the Notre Dame Meyo Invitational this past weekend.

The Illini recorded three personal bests over the course of the two-day meet in South Bend, Ind., against tough competition that included three nationally ranked teams and five Big Ten teams.

“This weekend went well,” assistant coach Tim Vaught said in a press release. “This was a great meet for us. We had a lot of personal bests and season-best marks. Jesica Ejesieme had a season best in the 60-meter hurdles. Of course, Alyssa Schneider ran very well in the 5,000-meter run with a personal best and a top-10 time. The 4×400 relay team had a great race and ran the fastest time this season.”

Schneider was Illinois’ lone first-place finisher on the weekend as she won the 5,000 meters with a time of 16 minutes, 35.96 seconds.

Ejesieme was one of four Illini who finished in the top three of their respective running events as she came in third in the 60 hurdles. Ahlivia Spencer took third in the 800 meters and Colette Falsey rounded out the third place finishes for the Illini by placing third in the unseeded 3,00 meters.

Kandie Bloch-Jones was the only Illini field athlete to place in the top 10 at the meet. Bloch-Jones’ came in second in the high jump with a jump of 1.74 meters.

Nicholas can be reached at [email protected] and @IlliniSportsGuy.