Illinois beats Minnesota behind Nunn’s 19 points

Tracy Abrams dribbles the ball against Minnesota in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Illinois basketball has dug itself some deep holes this season, but Wednesday night the Illini were finally able to pull themselves out of one. After trailing Minnesota by as many as 11 points in the game’s first eight minutes, Illinois stormed back behind Kendrick Nunn’s 19 points on its way to a 62-49 victory at Williams Arena in Minneapolis.

The Illini (15-12, 4-10 Big Ten) picked off a Golden Gophers squad (17-10, 6-8) that is in the hunt for an NCAA tournament bid in head coach Richard Pitino’s first year. The loss was only the third home loss Minnesota has suffered all season and won’t look good on its resume come Selection Sunday.

At the 11:43 mark in the first half, Illinois trailed 14-3. Kendrick Nunn hit his first 3-pointer of the night to spark the Illini comeback.

His night was just beginning.  

The freshman hit two more 3-point shots in the first half and helped pull the Illini within three by halftime. He shot 5-for-7 from behind the arc on the night. His 19 points tied a career high.

In the second half, Illinois used a 12-0 run to grab the lead and extend it to as many as nine. Minnesota didn’t go away easily. The Gophers cut it to six late in the game but wouldn’t get any closer.

Nnanna Egwu finished the game with a double-double. He scored 14 points, grabbed 11 rebounds — his third consecutive game with double figures in rebounds — and added four blocks on the defensive end.

After a dismal 39-point offensive performance against Ohio State its last time out, head coach John Groce thought Illinois looked discouraged in the second half against the Buckeyes.

There was no hesitation Wednesday. Illinois shot 42.2 percent from the field and 8-for-13 from 3-point range. The eight 3-pointers nearly matched Illinois’ 11 two-point field goals on the night.

Minnesota contrasted that with only four 3-point field goals made on 25 attempts. The Gophers settled for 3-point shots in the second half and stopped attacking the rim. Egwu’s presence in the paint was partly to blame. Minnesota turned the ball over 15 times on the night.

Andre Hollins led the Gophers with 15 points and Austin Hollins added another 10.

The win was Illinois’ 11th at Willams Arena in its last 13 trips to the Gophers’ home court. Illinois has an extended break with a week off before facing Nebraska at State Farm Center on Wednesday.

Sean can be reached at [email protected] and @sean_hammond.