Undergraduate Library’s recent updates aim to please needs of student body

By Meghan O'Kelly

As classes kick into high gear this semester, recent changes at the Undergraduate Library are aiming to enhance students’ academic performance, study options and comfort.

Visitors to the Undergraduate Library will notice that the four former information desks have been consolidated into one – located at the upper level entrance. Numerous signs pointing to the desk direct students to where they can find assistance.

David Ward, head of information services at the Undergraduate Library, said the Information Services Desk has now replaced the separate book circulation, video reserve, magazine and reference desks.

“It’s been very busy,” Ward said. “One of our main goals was to make sure it was easier for students to know where to go for help, and I think this has made things a lot easier for students at the library.”

Lisa Hinchliffe, head of the Undergraduate Library, and Ward agree that they have seen less student frustration with the new setup. Jonathan Sorrell, sophomore in Business, said that the format is efficient and easy for students to use.

“I think it’s helpful,” he said. “I think it’s easier if you can just go to one place than get directed to another desk.”

A new materials display, including the library’s video game collection and magazines, as well as a lounge area will soon occupy the space formerly used for the independent help desks.

To increase student utility, the Undergraduate Library also acquired 10 new iMac computers over the summer, which are stationed throughout the library’s upper level.

Twenty new laptops are also set to debut for checkout at the Undergraduate library within the next two weeks, Hinchliffe said. The computers will be equipped with the same software as the library’s existing desktop PCs. Like other reserve materials, laptop circulation time will be limited to two hours and restricted to the Undergraduate Library.

Along with designated small group rooms on the upper level, Hinchliffe said that the laptops will maximize collaborative work among students. The library’s focus was on the individual student when it was built, she explained, and these updates are designed to fulfill increasing group project needs.

“We really heard a lot from students that this is something they would like,” Hinchliffe said. “Because the Undergraduate library is completely wireless, it means students could check out a laptop and work on a group project at a table instead of perching around one computer desk.”

Students soon will be able to check out the MP3 players, portable hard drives and portable DVD players for up to one week, as well. Hinchliffe explained that much of the funding for the library’s improvements has come from the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, which has pledged $500,000 over the next five years towards the library’s initiatives through their fundraising efforts.

“I could see myself using some of the new things,” Sorrell said. “My roommate last year didn’t even have a computer, so being able to borrow a laptop would help people like him, also.”

Under Hinchliffe’s leadership, the library will conduct a formal study sometime later this year to analyze the changes, but she said student loyalty to the library gives her confidence that the upgrades will earn positive reviews.