Susan Elmore, co-owner of Jane Addam’s Book Shop, runs the store with her family after buying the building on a whim 11 years ago.

The woman with her nose in a book shop

By Nandika Chatterjee, Staff Writer October 13, 2021

Susan Elmore didn’t know she was going to end up buying an entire bookstore one fine evening, 11 years ago, when she went out for drinks with her husband. They were seated opposite...

Mearieta Clemente is a Junior at the University who performs around the world as a wheel gymnast.

A circus performer lives her childhood passion

By Aliza Majid, Assistant News Editor October 13, 2021

Mearieta Clemente is a junior at the University who travels across the world, from states such as Wisconsin to countries like Switzerland and Denmark. She performs in her circus, Chicago Wheel Jam, as...

Derrick Aikman, owner of The Bread Company, doesn’t mind if he’s recognized for his position and just wants to make sure his business runs smoothly in the nurturing working environment he created.

The restaurant overseer and bread giver

By Jackie Barba, Contributing Writer October 13, 2021

When glancing into the open kitchen of Urbana’s The Bread Company, you may catch a glimpse of Derrick Aikman, black headphones resting on his head, eyed focused on the sizzling of the sandwiches in...

​​Sebastian Klein, the founder of the Angel Forever Foundation, sits inside the non-profits headquarters — also known as the Foundation Room. Klein lost his daughter to suicide in 2017 and started the foundation to provide suicide prevention training and resources to parents and teenagers in Champaign-Urbana.

Father creates safe haven for his angel

By Farrah Anderson, Assistant Investigative News and Longform Editor October 13, 2021

Trigger warning: This story mentions suicide. If you or someone you know may be considering suicide, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (En Español: 1-888-628-9454;...

Senior Vignesh Suresh performs stand-up comedy for C-U Comedy.

A call to laughter: life of a student comedian

By Kylie Corral, Contributing Writer October 13, 2021

The demands of college sometimes call for hobbies that let students escape the stressful world of studying, exams and nonstop classes. For some students this may be through sports or music. But for Vignesh...

Twenty-year-old Shaersti Anderson sits with her daughter Raelynn amongst an assortment of ceramics wearing a tie-dye shirt she made. Anderson’s tie-dye business is on hold but she hopes to start it back up next year.

The many passions of an artist, parent

By Carolina Garibay, buzz Editor October 13, 2021

When Shaersti Anderson was in high school, she started tie-dying. But not the way most might picture, at a block party as a kid haphazardly dipping crumpled shirts in buckets of dye. Anderson methodically...

Sylvia Sullivan owns and operates Sylvias Irish Inn which has been running since 2002 in Urbana.

Sylvia’s Irish Inn: ‘We dreamt about this for 14 years’

By Thomas DeMouy, Staff Writer October 13, 2021

Sylvia Sullivan is the owner of Sylvia’s Irish Inn in Urbana. She has operated the bed-and-breakfast since 2002 and plans to retire within the next year. When I was a young girl, there was a bus strike...

Michael Stroller, a co-owner of CU Jiu Jitsu, shares how his love for Jiu Jitsu started.

A place to call home: CU Jui Jitsu

By George Phelan, Staff Writer October 13, 2021

Michael Stoller is the co-owner of CU Jiu Jitsu, a Mixed Martial Arts school in Lincoln Square Mall. Stoller is a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. How did you start with martial arts, and how did...

Hyena, a 54-year-old furry, wears a tail in public to express himself and change local prejudices against people who appear different from them.

The man with a tale to tell

By Gwyn Skiles, Features Editor October 13, 2021

Sitting in a blue armchair at Caffe Paradiso is a man with purple and yellow hair sipping a latte. He rises and his gray tank top sways as he walks toward the counter. Other customers turn their heads...

Cloydia Hill Larimore is a local activist who attended this years CU Women’s March and has been protesting for women’s rights in the community since she was a teenager.

The local activist and her long fight for social equality

By Faith Angel Allendorf, Contributing Writer October 13, 2021

The early morning sun illuminated the wooden desks of an Urbana high school classroom when suddenly, commotion resonated through the hallways. “Come on, we're leaving!” shouted several voices....

Ayden Alwani is the owner of Fat Sandwich and makes sure everything is running smoothly throughout the restaurant.

The owner behind campus’ quirky sandwich shop

By Alex Chang, Staff Writer October 13, 2021

Ayden Alwani is the owner of Fat Sandwich, a restaurant that has been in operation since 2008. Fat Sandwich is known for their sandwiches which are filled with a variety of fried foods. The restaurant...

Ismail Ahmed is sophomore in ACES (left) and Abdallah Marzouki is also a sophomore who is in engineering (right) and they share their thoughts on homelessness.

Opinion | What responsibility do we have for CU’s homeless?

By Nathaniel Langley, Opinions Editor October 13, 2021

One stroll down Green Street is enough to register C-U’s silent yet present homeless plight. Subsequently, as members of the community, we must reflect and consider what duty we possess in mitigating...

Load More Stories