Doris Kelly Christopher Hall to celebrate 10th anniversary

By Daily Illini Staff

The Doris Kelley Christopher Hall is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. The hall is home to the Family Resiliency Center and is also used to for research, education and outreach to help families succeed under challenging conditions.

The hall began in the 2000s after inspiration from Illinois alum Doris Kelley Christopher, who is the founder and chairman of Pampered Chef, Ltd. She visited the College of ACES and worked with Pampered Chef to establish the Family Resiliency Program.

Located at 904 W. Nevada St. in Urbana, families, educators and professionals can obtain information on resolving family problems, as well as child development.

The Family Resiliency Research home is a 1,000 square foot space that represents a home environment, which researchers can use to observe and videotape family interactions and conduct outreach programs. It features a living room, dining room and fully functioning kitchen.

The hall also houses several other projects, including The Autism Program’s resource room, the STRONG Kids Program and the Food and Family Program.

Tyler Wolpert, the communications specialist for the Family Resiliency Center, said that their biggest research project would probably be the STRONG Kids Program, which explores the causes of childhood obesity.

According to Wolpert, the work done in Christopher Hall is primarily research.

“We don’t offer services directly to families; however, we do run The Autism Program, which is a valuable resource for families in the community who have children on the autism spectrum,” Wolpert said. 

On Thursday, the Family Resilience Center will host a special event featuring Christopher.

Christopher graduated from the University in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in home economics and started Pampered Chef in 1980.

“Her contribution allowed for the construction of the facility,” Wolpert said.

The invitation-only event will run from 4-6 p.m., and will feature remarks from College of ACES Dean Hauser, Human Development and Family Studies Department Head Sue Koerner, Doris Christopher and Family Resiliency Center Director Dr. Barbara Fiese.

Jessica Berbey and Megan Jones contributed to this report.