Leonard block seals Illinois win over Northwestern

EVANTSTON, Ill. – When the Illinois men’s basketball team was able to shut down Northwestern’s John Shurna, it thrived.

Shurna had just three second-half points as the Illini (13-3, 2-1 Big Ten) defeated the Wildcats, 57-56, Wednesday at the Welsh-Ryan Arena in Evanston, Ill.

After scoring 17 points in the first half and helping the Wildcats lead by as many as 10, Shurna was unable to find his stroke in the second half, when he shot just 1-for-7.

“I missed shots,” Shurna said. “It’s on me.”

Sophomore Meyers Leonard led the Illini with 12 points and eight rebounds on the night, while sophomore Joseph Bertrand and junior Brandon Paul each added 10 points.

Despite solid shooting by Illinois to start the game, Northwestern led early, capitalizing on turnovers and offensive rebounding opportunities.

With four and a half minutes left in the first half, the Wildcats led 31-26, but a pair of Shurna baskets put his team up by 10.

Illinois regained the momentum before the half with a 3-pointer by freshman Myke Henry and a dunk by Leonard. An 11-2 run to start the second half gave the Illini the lead. Illinois would not trail the rest of the game.

“We started to play with energy, took over on defense and got some rebounds,” Leonard said. “For the most part, though, we started to play with some emotion.”

At the end, the Wildcats made it exciting.

With 27 seconds left in the game and Illinois up just one, Leonard made just 1-of-2 free throws, and Northwestern capitalized when Drew Crawford made a tip shot to tie the game at 56.

Paul then drove to the hoop and missed a layup at the other end, but Henry was there for the rebound and was fouled with six seconds remaining.

“Usually in practice, that’s what I do, I go to the rim,” Henry said.

Henry made the first free throw but missed the second as Crawford rebounded, drove the lane at the other end and was blocked by Leonard to seal the win.

“I tried to get the basket, I probably should have gone all the way, it was just a good block,” Crawford said.

The win was Illinois’ second in Big Ten play, just a game back of conference leader Michigan State.

“You gotta steal some on the road and gotta win the home ones,” Leonard said.

The Illini were without senior point guard Sam Maniscalco, who missed with injury. Illinois head coach Bruce Weber said Maniscalco’s injury will be dealt day-to-day, but he is unlikely to play when Illinois hosts Nebraska on Saturday.