Hogan addresses state funding at Board meeting

University President Michael Hogan did not address calls for his resignation at the Board of Trustees meeting during the morning session. Instead, he chose to speak about the financial constraints of the state and its impact on the University.

Hogan said that that Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn has proposed to keep education funding flat, calling it a “complete victory” for the University. The campuses have seen an average of about 3.5 percent of budget cuts from the state in recent years but faced only a 1 percent reduction.

Board of Trustees chairman Christopher Kennedy said likewise.

“We’ve had a lot of coverage of the University over the last six weeks, and it hasn’t really been about the financial situation,” he said. “We cannot lose sight of the incredible danger we are in as it relates… to the future of state funding.”

Hogan and Walter Knorr, the University’s chief financial officer, spoke at the appropriations hearing early this week in Chicago, telling them the importance of funding in education. While Quinn called for flat funding during his budget address, the General Assembly could change that in the coming months.

The state currently owes about $350 million to the University.