Best Indian Food: Himilayan Chimney

By A. Oishii Basu, Staff Writer

Located in the heart of downtown Champaign, Himalayan Chimney gives many Indian American residents a taste of home while providing others with an authentic culinary experience. 

The bistro offers a wide variety of cuisines from across India. Presenting patrons with flavors beyond the Himalayas provides a range of entrees that are friendly to dietary restrictions. From goat biryani to tandoori chicken to paneer korma, there are options for almost everyone. 

Its diversity in dishes has attracted many people, and the restaurant is one of the only spots in Champaign-Urbana with traditional South Indian food like dosas and madras. 

Along with having an array of regions and fares, dishes at Himalayan Chimney also include varying degrees of spice. These dishes maintain their classic savor in a contemporary presentation, as does the bistro itself.

Entering the restaurant, customers are presented with an interior lined in dark red wood and dispersed lights that hang from the ceiling provide a warm ambience. Front and center, there is a mantle to a painted idol of Ganesh and other prominent Hindu deities. Portraits of Buddha and landscapes of the Himalayan mountain range can be seen on the walls. Interweaving these pieces into this modern look showcases the culture that this food comes from.

On the corner of Randolph and West Church streets, the restaurant effectively brings the vast customs and delicacies of the many regions of India to C-U. It’s no wonder that Himalayan Chimney is the spot chosen for best Indian food.