Best place to meet new people: House shows

By Marilyn MacLaren, Assistant buzz Editor

When it comes to starting out on a new campus, it can be hard to meet new people and make connections outside of class. Trying to balance assignments, deadlines, jobs and having a social life leaves little time for making new friends.

Looking to unwind? Voted as the best way to meet new people, house shows in Champaign-Urbana are a great way to experience local bands and what a college party venue can offer. Venues such as The Powder Room, Walguigi’s Mansion, The Spice Rack, Half House and more all provide year-round entertainment that feature music, art exposés and fashion highlights that showcase the newest talents on the rise within the C-U community.

Each house show venue prides itself on the welcoming space it provides for its guests and featured artists, allowing creativity to flow freely while people enjoy the party atmosphere. Featured bands such as Kangaroo Court, The Knee Hi’s, Ship of Fools and Renaissance Man all share the stage and provide exciting new music for guests’ entertainment. For some fun, house shows provide a social experience that is definitely worth checking out and adding to the house show experience.

Be sure to check out these venues on Instagram @thepowderroom_urbana, @waluigismansions_cu, @the_spicerackofficial and @halfhouse.shows for more information and updates about upcoming events.