‘Outer Banks’ brings action, adventure back to Netflix

Photo courtesy of IMDB

Feb. 23 marked the release of Sean three of popular Netflix series “Outer Banks.” The show quickly returned to the top 10 and has remained number one for the past two weeks.

By Lucy Bridges, Staff Writer

The popular series “Outer Banks” returned to the top of Netflix’s top 10 trending shows after the release of the third season on Feb. 23. Creators Josh Pate, Jonas Pate and Shannon Burke brought the pogues back to the screen as mature and ambitious teenagers, continuing their chase for the treasure from the Royal Merchant.

After the first season of “Outer Banks,” fans took to social media, specifically TikTok, to post edits and clips from the show. Because of the attention from the media, and the easy-going, summer vibe that was created, fans anxiously awaited the long anticipated release. Season three successfully upholds that same warm, beachy and summer feeling that fans raved over. 

Season three of “Outer Banks” consists of 1o 50-minute action-packed episodes, where a friend group of pogues, John B, Pope, Kiara, JJ, Sarah and Cleo, experience chaos across the Caribbean, the Outer Banks and South America. The third season picks up where season two left off as the friends remain stranded on an island. But when they are finally rescued after a month on the island, which they called Poguelandia, they are faced with Carlos Singh, a remarkably wealthy man who is obsessively interested in finding the treasure and gold from the Royal Merchant. 

Singh, along with Rafe, played by Drew Starkey and Ward Cameron, played by Charles Esten, continue to create situations in which the friends are placed in danger. With the added stressors of the return of John B’s father, Big John, who was presumed to be dead, and the pressure to find the treasure before Singh, the group faces obstacles unlike those in previous seasons. 

The cast that fans are familiar with returns for season three. In addition to Chase Stokes as John B, Madelyn Cline as Sarah Cameron, Madison Bailey as Kiara Carrera, Jonathan Daviss as Pope, Rudy Pankow as JJ and Carlacia Grant as Cleao, Andy McQueen and Charles Halford join the cast as Carlos Singh and Big John, respectively. 

“Outer Banks” season three has stories layered upon stories, intertwining the rebuilt relationship between John B and his father, Sarah Cameron and her reconnection with her kooky life, Kiara’s rocky family lifestyle following her return to the Outer Banks, the developing situation regarding the Cameron family and the Cross of Santo Domingo and the life-threatening danger that Singh is putting the friends in. Although the packed plot line is rarely dull, the fast pace of the show and the multiple storylines make it occasionally difficult to follow the plot and to recall which events affect which story lines. 

Although season three is busy with many individual character plot lines, the primary director, Jonas Pate, adds dimension and depth to the storyline by shooting on location in multiple different settings. The natural beauty in this season is unmatched, as the friends live on secluded sandy beaches, return to the familiar waters of the OBX and hike through the rainforests of South America.

Season three of the show appears to solve the 400-year-old mystery of the treasure of the Royal Merchant, but episode ten of the season introduces a new mystery that is brought to the attention of the pogues. After having ended on a cliff-hanger, the cast took to social media on Feb. 19 to announce the renewal of the show for a fourth season.