Sean Kingston announced as 2023 Spring Jam artist

By Kiran Bond, buzz Editor

Sean Kingston performs at the “Shout!” awards in July 2009. Kingston will be performing at the Spring Jam on April 23. (Photo courtesy of Irwandy Mazwir / Flickr)

Sean Kingston will be the 2023 Spring Jam artist. Spring Jam is an annual outdoor concert held on Main Quad and is free for students to enjoy. This year’s concert will be on April 23 at 2 p.m.

The artist was revealed during a Trivia Tuesday at the Illini Union on March 28. Some of the trivia questions were about Kingston, and he was revealed as the Spring Jam artist after the game concluded. Kingston is an American-Jamaican singer and rapper. His hit singles include “Beautiful Girls,” “Fire Burning” and “Eenie Meenie,” a collaboration with Justin Bieber.

Katelin Chong, freshman in LAS, said she is very excited to see Kingston.

“I kind of forgot about him, but it’s a good surprise,” Chong said. “I’m pretty happy that it’s someone I recognize.”

Isra Shaikh, junior in LAS, said she was “not underwhelmed, but just whelmed” by the announcement. 

Irving Silva, sophomore in Business, said he was a little underwhelmed and thought there could have been a better artist chosen. 

Kingston’s career began in 2007, when his YouTube videos were noticed by Beluga Heights Records. Kingston soon released the hit single “Beautiful Girls,” which peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped charts in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, Spain and the U.K. 

Since then, Kingston has released four studio albums and 21 singles. 

Spring Jam artists from past years include Yung Gravy, Lil Yachty, T-Pain, Post Malone, Hoodie Allen and Travis Porter, and Timeflies and B.O.B.