Riot Fest announces 2023 lineup featuring Foo Fighters, The Cure

Photo courtesy of Sebi Ryffel / Wikimedia Commons

This year’s Riot Fest lineup will include Queens of the Stone Age as a headliner, among other artists.

By Kiran Bond, buzz Editor

Chicago’s annual rock music festival Riot Fest announced their 2023 lineup this Tuesday. The festival’s headliners are Foo Fighters, Turnstile, The Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie, Queens of the Stone Age, The Cure and The Mars Volta. 

The festival will take place from Sept. 15-17 at Douglass Park in Chicago, Illinois.

Foo Fighters will play Friday evening on Sept. 15. The rock band, fronted by former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl, has popular hits like “Everlong,” “The Pretender” and “Learn to Fly.” 

Turnstile, an American hardcore punk band from Maryland, will also play Friday.  

The Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie will do a combined set on Saturday, Sept. 16. The two bands are currently on tour together and share a lead singer, Ben Gibbard. 

The Postal Service is an indie pop supergroup with only one full-length release in 2003. 

Death Cab for Cutie is an American rock band with 10 albums released. 

Queens of the Stone Age, who will play Saturday, is a rock band that formed in 1996 in Seattle, Washington. The band recently released their first single in six years “Emotion Sickness.”

The Cure is an English rock band formed in 1978 and fronted by Robert Smith. The band has very popular tracks like “Boys Don’t Cry” and “Friday I’m in Love.” The band will play Sunday, Sept. 17. 

The Mars Volta is a progressive rock band and will play Sunday evening. The band’s most popular track is “Inertiatic Esp.”

Riot Fest, founded in 2005 by Mike Petryshyn and Sean McKeough, has been in Douglass Park since its inception. 

The festival had a presale Monday at 7 p.m. CDT before the lineup was announced and three day tickets officially went on sale at 10 a.m. CDT Tuesday. 

According to Riot Fest’s website, tickets are tiered and buying early will result in the best price. 

There are four tiers of tickets: GA, VIP, DELUXE and DELUXE+. Prices range from $249.98 to $1,499.98. 

More information about the different tiers is available at riotfest.org