Column | After 20 years, ‘Finding Nemo’ is not lost in the sea

Promotion+poster+for+Pixars+Finding+Nemo%2C+released+May+30+2003.+

Courtesy of IMDb

Promotion poster for Pixar’s Finding Nemo, released May 30 2003.

By Aarushi Aggrwal, Staff Writer

“Finding Nemo” is the widely known, critically acclaimed and heartwarming story of an orange clownfish and his loving father.

Tuesday marked the film’s 20th anniversary — and it holds up to this day. “Finding Nemo” is woven with themes of family, loss of a loved one, addiction, disability and more.

Like many other Pixar movies, it makes one think about the actions of humans in a larger context — this time, the mighty ocean. Everything from the screenplay to the scenic ocean landscapes deserves recognition.

“Finding Nemo” stands out from other classic Pixar movies because of its brilliant visual elements that help to make it a delightful watch.

The movie centers around Nemo — a six-year-old clownfish — and his father, Marlin. Nemo is born with a bad fin and Marlin worries about Nemo being a bad swimmer.

The underlying truth, however, is that Marlin isn’t ready to trust anyone with his son’s safety after losing the rest of his family to an accident.

Because of a juvenile argument with his father, Nemo finds himself captured by a human and taken to Sydney, Australia. Marlin strives to save Nemo, but he fails at first.

Now, Marlin must confront his fear of the big blue and traverse across it to get his last bit of family back. Thus begins Marlin’s adventure to find Nemo.

The story of “Finding Nemo” addresses an array of diverse themes in just under two hours. When I watched this movie as a child, the captivating story of near-death experiences and budding friendships was thrilling. Paired with the witty script and lighthearted jokes, the storyline of this film is heartwarming and engaging for children and adults alike.

Pixar’s moving and realistic cinematography lets viewers feel the film deeply. This connection compels adults probably more strongly than children.

The talented cast breathes life into the fish, which was just what the amazing direction and animation needed to let this film emerge as a masterpiece.

Watching the film as an adult, I found that there is much more to the story than the protagonists’ objectives.

“Finding Nemo” was truly ahead of its time. it did a remarkable job portraying tough topics gently for its intended audience. It even has some very meaningful side plots.

One side plot worth mentioning is that which concerns the sharks’ struggles with addiction to eating fish. While it is a well-directed sequence that sends chills down the viewers’ spine, it also introduces addiction and recovery in a palatable way to its impressionable audience.

“Finding Nemo” is a movie that can be rewatched endlessly. It is multilayered and well-written — every viewing leaves the viewer with something to ponder.

All in all, “Finding Nemo” is an evergreen movie suited for all age groups. In this film, there is something valuable for everyone. “Finding Nemo” is a sweet and exciting classic that is sure to entertain all kinds of viewers.