Krannert Center for the Performing Arts announces 2023-24 season

By Maaike Niekerk, Summer Editor

The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts put out a press release Tuesday morning announcing the 2023-24 performance season.

The season will involve a wide array of performers and performance groups, kicking off with the 2023 Opening Night Party on Sept. 8.

Sept. 8 also marks the beginning of the ELLNORA Guitar Festival, which will be celebrating its 10th edition, the press release said.

The festival, which will continue through Sept. 9, will offer multiple free events, “including a free Saturday morning performance by Sharon Isbin and Pacifica Quartet,” the release said.

Other highlights of the coming year include visits from Kronos Quartet on Nov. 8, jazz saxophonist Branford Marsalis and his quartet on Jan. 27, New Zealand’s Indian Ink Theatre Company on Jan. 18-20 and a performance from cellist Yo-Yo Ma with pianist Kathryn Scott on April 6.

Both the Chicago and St. Louis symphony orchestras will be visiting KCPA as well, with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra performing on Oct. 1 and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing on Feb. 22.

More regular KCPA acts will also return to the stage, including the Mark Morris Dance Group on Feb. 9 and 10 and the annual performance of “The Nutcracker” from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3.

The release also quoted Krannert Center Director Mike Ross, who expressed his goals with this new season of performances.

Ross said in the release that he hoped to “give people from all walks of life and of all ages reason to come together again and again.”

Ross additionally said he wished for audience members “to be reminded of what a very special gift it is to be able to gather in celebration of this extraordinary phenomenon we call art.”