Emmy Awards announce 2023 nominations

A list of nominees for the 2023 Emmy Awards were announced earlier this morning.

The 75th Emmy Awards will take place on September 18, celebrating the best shows and actors in television this year. 

Comedy-drama series “Succession” led the way with 27 nominations. The show aired its fourth and final season this past spring, and has received hundreds of thousands of views per episode.

Another HBO show, breakout hit “The Last of Us,” is listed with the second most nominations at 24. These include a nomination for outstanding lead actor in a drama series for Pedro Pascal as well as outstanding lead actress in a drama series for 19-year-old Bella Ramsey.

“Succession” and “The Last of Us” both saw nominations for outstanding drama series.

HBO’s “The White Lotus” and Apple TV’s “Ted Lasso” earned 23 and 21 nominations, respectively. “The White Lotus” was nominated for outstanding drama series while “Ted Lasso” received a nomination for outstanding comedy series.

These four series in particular stood out among the rest of the nominees, with the next most nominated show being Amazon Prime Video’s “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” with 14 nominations.

A complete list of 2023 Emmy nominations can be found here.

Similarly to the 2023 Tony Awards – an award show celebrating achievements on Broadway – the Emmy’s may be impacted by the ongoing writer’s strike in Hollywood.

A New York Times article published earlier today described the current atmosphere as “an awkward time for Emmy nominations.” 

“With thousands out of work, a normally joyous affair toasting the best in the television business is happening while much of Hollywood is shut down,” the Times said.

Effects of the strike could include delaying the Emmys, or possibly airing them unscripted, which was the decision made for the 76th Tony Awards.