Lollapalooza day 2 recap

James Hoeck
Benny the Bull dances his way into The Happiness Club’s performance at the center of Grant Park by the Buckingham Fountain on Friday afternoon.

The second day of Lollapalooza 2023 boasted a number of talent-filled performances, concluding in headlining performances from Kendrick Lamar and The 1975.

Featured artists of the day included Declan McKenna, Diesel, Peach Pit, Sabrina Carpenter and others.

Slightly cooler weather than the first day helped bring in a large crowd.

Annie DiRusso performed a 40-minute rock set at the BMI stage at 3:20 p.m. DiRusso used her Lollapalooza debut to share her feelings on everything from moving out of her childhood home to female reproductive rights.

Peach Pit sat down with The Daily Illini to discuss their set, their recent concert at Canopy Club in Urbana and their new music. Read about it here. 

Sabrina Carpenter delivered a wonderful, bubbly and poppy set to a large crowd at the Coinbase stage at 5:45 p.m. Covering ABBA and singing her hits like “Nonsense,” Carpenter gave an energetic performance that got the crowd dancing and singing along.

Declan McKenna delivered an extremely energetic performance on the Bacardí stage at 6:30 p.m, despite coming off the tail end of an extensive tour. McKenna gave the crowd what they wanted by performing all of his top hits, including his viral single “Brazil.”

The 1975 performed as a headliner at the Bud Light stage at 8:45 p.m. The band’s most recent concert in Malaysia resulted in the cancellation of an entire festival because of lead singer Matty Healy’s rant about the country’s anti-LGBTQ+ laws. Healy also kissed his male bandmate on stage. 

The band’s Lollapalooza set did not explicitly mention the previous incident. The band performed a normal set, full of Healy’s usual stage antics: drinking, smoking and lots of talking. 

Kendrick Lamar finished out the day with an artful set at the T-Mobile stage. Despite starting a few minutes late, Lamar left the crowd buzzing after performing a jam-packed set of Grammy Award winning rap songs and memorable visuals.