Review | Declan McKenna makes experimental splash with ‘What Happened to the Beach?’

Photo courtesy of Genius
Cover shot for Declan McKenna’s third album “What Happened to the Beach” released on Friday.

English singer-songwriter Declan McKenna released his third studio album, “What Happened to the Beach?,” on Friday. 

Bursting onto the scene after clinching victory in the Glastonbury Festival’s Emerging Talent Competition in 2015, McKenna made waves with his debut single “Brazil.” Released in December of the same year, “Brazil” is a poignant protest song criticizing FIFA and the 2014 FIFA World Cup held in Brazil.

Nearly 10 years later, McKenna trades his standard indie-rock flare for an experimental indie-pop sound on his new record. 

“Wobble,” the album’s opening track, sets the experimental landscape for the rest of the album: light guitars with heavily processed vocals. 

Though “Wobble” is virtually indistinguishable from other contemporary indie-pop songs, McKenna’s strong, sunny lyricism keeps the listener engaged.

The following track “Elevator Hum” is a catchy pop gem infused with mesmerizing psychedelic production. It perfectly encapsulates the album’s overarching theme of embracing the present moment with its irresistible hook and dreamy atmosphere.

“I Write the News” adopts a unique song structure, consisting solely of choruses, resulting in a departure from traditional momentum. However, this unconventional approach unfortunately leads to a sense of redundancy both in its songwriting and production.

“Sympathy” shares many of the same problems with its preceding track: no forward movement, repetitive lyrics and an expected sonic atmosphere. 

The fifth song on the record, “Mulholland’s Dinner and Wine,” is about a fictitious convenience store depicted in a potential robbery within the song’s narrative. Drawing inspiration from Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles while also evoking the essence of a British off-license, it creates a surreal, imagined setting, fitting for the dreamy guitars and synths in the track. 

The ethereal “Breath of Light” embraces the darker sounds of indie-pop, alluding to devil worshippers with a tight, opening groove.

“Nothing Works” is an indie anthem that boldly declares not everyone is worth changing for. It captures the frustration of trying to change for someone with no success, mirroring its unapologetically indie sound.

“The Phantom Buzz (Kick In)” harkens back to McKenna’s older works, with influence from bands such as The Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes at the forefront of the track’s direction. 

“Mezzanine” captures a vibe reminiscent of “Snail Mail,” featuring a soft groove accentuated by rich guitar melodies and intricately layered, processed vocals. This blend creates a relaxed atmosphere that invites listeners into its landscape.

Though not a large wave in the indie scene, McKenna’s “What Happened to the Beach?” is sure to leave a splash in listener’s minds and mark another successful project on his rapidly growing catalog.