Review | Chappell Roan delivers with new single ‘Good Luck, Babe!’

Courtesy of Genius.
Courtesy of Genius.

Rating: 8/10

Chappell Roan has taken the nation by storm as an emerging pop sensation. As she travels the nation as Olivia Rodrigo’s opening act during the “GUTS World Tour,” social media is seemingly flooded with Roan’s performances. 

The 26-year-old American singer’s first full-length album, “The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess,” was released to streaming platforms in September. Her pop anthems reached the hearts of many fans, as Roan often ties themes of girlhood, queer love and self-confidence into her works. 

With over four million monthly listeners on Spotify, it can be inferred Roan has amassed a large following. Her newest single, “Good Luck, Babe!” was released Friday and is nothing short of amazing. 

As the song begins, a retro feeling is brought forth by the instrumentals. The synth takes the listener back in time, with Roan being reminiscent of a young Cyndi Lauper. The nostalgic mood sets her sound apart from other emerging modern artists.

This single is another song catered to the demographic who has just had another unsuccessful love affair. Roan sings to a person denying their feelings of romantic interest and forgetting the weight of a once passionate relationship. 

“You can kiss a hundred boys in bars/ Shoot another shot, try to stop the feeling/ You can say it’s just the way you are/ Make a new excuse, another stupid reason/ Good luck, babe (Well, good luck).”

This single is one of those songs that is easy to belt in the shower, as any individual can cater their secret performance to their own failed relationship.

Arguably, the build to the bridge makes this single not easily forgettable. As Roan leads the listener through two choruses and two verses, a percussive rhythm interrupts the original flow of the song. Roan showcases yet another set of impressive vocals and makes stylistic choices with her pronunciation to make the bridge even more impactful. 

It’s not just a sappy breakup song — it’s empowering. As the song fades out with the lyrics “you’d have to stop the world just to stop the feeling/ Good luck, babe (Well, good luck),” it conveys one clear message: “I told you so.”