‘Song of Achilles’ author comes to Champaign Library

Madeline+Miller%2C+author+of+New+York+Times+Bestsellers+Circe+and+The+Song+of+Achilles%2C+is+partnering+with+the+Champaign+and+other+Illinois+libraries+to+talk+about+novels.+

Photo courtesy of Nina Subin/Madeline Miller Website

Madeline Miller, author of New York Times Bestsellers “Circe” and “The Song of Achilles,” is partnering with the Champaign and other Illinois libraries to talk about novels.

By Olivia Rosenberg, Assistant buzz Editor

On March 3, author Madeline Miller is teaming up with multiple Illinois libraries, including the Champaign Public Library, to present “An Evening with Madeline Miller,” where she will discuss her two novels during the virtual event. 

Filled with intricate, metered structures and classical Greek myths, ancient epics like Homer’s “Iliad,” one of the oldest works of Western literature, can seem like daunting pieces of text to dive into. 

Yet, Miller takes those ancient Greek epics written in the eighth century B.C. and transforms them into her own tales as she dives into the motives and truth behind various characters mentioned in the epics. 

Her first novel, “The Song of Achilles,” awarded the 2012 Orange Prize for Fiction, tells the story of Patroclus, the famous warrior Achilles’ closest partner.

Miller’s story focuses on the relationship between the two men, pulling her concepts from the notable, yet sparse, mentions of the two in the “Iliad.”

“With Patroclus, I wanted to understand who this man was who meant so much to Achilles,” Miller said. “When Patroclus dies in the Iliad, Achilles is devastated, yet we barely see them together. I felt like there was a lacuna there I could write into.”

Following the success of her debut novel, Miller released New York Times bestseller “Circe,” a retelling of the enchantress from Homer’s “Odyssey,” another character with room for a story to be built around. 

Miller said she credits the fuel of her writings to her desire to know more about these characters from both of Homer’s texts. 

“In both cases, I was motivated by curiosity,” Miller said. “I was desperate to know more, to understand these characters from the inside out. I loved Patroclus’ gentleness, which Homer references, and his loyalty. I loved Circe’s complicated intelligence, her wisdom, the fact that I saw her as an artist. And the more I learned about them, the more I loved.”

But to Miller, the story reaches far deeper than just its plot. She said she believes it is the storytelling itself that makes the story. 

“One of the most common questions we ask writers is, ‘What’s your book about?’ but mostly, what a book is about doesn’t matter,” Miller said. “It’s all about how the story is told. A great writer can make any story wonderful, even if it’s just the story of walking to the supermarket.”

Champaign Public Library Adult Services Manager Tricia Duzan said the library first became involved because the Arlington Heights Public Library was reaching out to different libraries to team up with for the event.

“The Arlington Heights Public Library was reaching out to various libraries to partner in hosting this event as a collaborative virtual author visit,” Duzan said. “This allows libraries to keep costs low and to capture a wider audience.”

The collaboration between the libraries opens up this event to patrons all over the state, giving many viewers an opportunity to attend Miller’s event. 

“Bringing best-selling authors to our community is important to promote literacy, spark a love for reading and foster accessible engagement with arts and literature,” Duzan said. “Being able to offer access to the library from the comfort of your own home has become a valuable resource and service to community members who may not be able to visit us in person for a variety of reasons.”

According to the library, there is already an expected number of around 1,000 guests registered for the event. Virtual spots for the event are open for registration

“I think viewers will enjoy an engaging and passionate presentation from author Madeline Miller,” Duzan said. “In the interviews I have seen, she is thrilled to discuss her characters and the development of the storyline.”  

Even Miller herself highlights the importance of connecting writers and readers together to share the mutual love of literature. 

“It is always such a joy to connect with readers,” Miller said. “Writing is so solitary. It can start to feel like you’re trapped in a small room with yourself. Getting to go out in the world and talk with other people who love books is always such a privilege. I love to hear what readers are thinking about, to thank them for reading and to get their book recommendations.”