‘What’s the buzz?’ radio show returns for third year

When buzz staff writers decided to start a radio show in 2019, they had no idea it would still be going strong years later and end up being one of the buzz staff’s favorite parts of being a buzz writer. “What’s the buzz?” is an entertainment radio talk show hosted by buzz writers that takes place on WPGU 107.1 every Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m. Topics range from pop culture, local happenings and music, and each show features a playlist carefully crafted by the “What’s the buzz?” team. Since the show’s inception, it has welcomed and said goodbye to past buzz editors and writers and was even turned into a podcast during quarantine.

“What’s the buzz” is back for its third year, and the buzz writers are more than ready to get back in the studio. Some of the “What’s the buzz” staff shared their experiences being on the show and the importance of college radio.

Carolina Garibay, buzz Editor

When we started “What’s the buzz?” I was a freshman who barely knew how to use the studio equipment, but as one does in college, I learned and became more comfortable in my radio producing and hosting skills.

Now in my last year of college, and therefore my last year on the show, I have learned how special radio can be. Growing up, my mom would listen to the radio when she drove me to school, and over the years, the radio hosts’ voices became engrained in my mind. They always made me think, even when I had no idea what they were talking about.

Now, I get to be that voice for other people who are maybe also being forced to listen to a radio talk show by their parents. Knowing that we maybe made someone laugh one time or offered solace to someone going through a rough time because we, too, shared our experiences with mental health struggles is really special and not something you get to experience anywhere else.

This radio show has become more than an after-school activity or an experience on my resume. It’s become a safe space for me to talk about everything that makes us human with some amazing writers and people who, though have so many different experiences and lives than I do, are also similar to me in a lot of ways. Rarely are you able to do something you love while gaining professional and academic experience from it, while also being able to do it with your best friends, and that’s really the best part of this show.

Casey Daly, buzz staff writer

“What’s the buzz?” has been an adventure. I joined the team in April 2020. It was the dark phase of lockdown where I was making whipped coffee, walking in my pajamas around the block and barely skimming by in my computer science class. There were about six of us on the podcast. It connected me to my beloved buzz writers and forced me to sift through trending music and stay up-to-date on current news.

When we moved back to the studio “What’s the buzz?” served as many things for me. It was an opportunity for me to unwind in the middle of the week, unload my heavy backpack, wipe down the mic with a Clorox wipe, grab a cherry-flavored Dum Dum and chat with my friends. We talked about trends, we talked about school. We talked about feminism. Some of my favorite episodes included dumb reasons bands split up and me pouring out mental health management tips from the depths of my heart.

Sometimes it was hard to write a script during a cold winter week before final exams. It always paid off in the studio. Friends and family tuned in. I pictured people listening to our show in their cars going down a dark Neil Street. They were coming home from work, or the grocery store, or going to buy liquor for the night. Maybe they heard my voice. Maybe something I said made them laugh, or even helped them out in some way. Thinking about that makes me happy.

College radio is a very special space because you get a professional studio but also people understand that you are learning. Our show is always seeking new brains to pick. So, if you feel like you have something to say, and can say it eloquently, or like music or have passions, I would say give it a shot.

Becca Bertram, buzz staff writer

I have been a part of the “What’s the buzz?” radio show since my freshman year of college. The training period was very enjoyable as I got to feel the vibe of the studio, so I started off pretty quiet on the first couple of episodes that I was on but my co-hosts allowed me to really come out of my shell and express my opinion.

Not only has the radio benefited my knowledge of the world outside of the small towns I’ve lived in, but I have made really good friends that have molded the best parts of my college years. Working for the radio has also allowed me to expand my music taste as we are the only alternative radio station in the area. I was usually listening to pop, but I was able to delve deeper into the world of music.

People should join the radio show because it’s a really great place to have discussions with people who are experiencing the same college atmosphere as yourself. It’s a very supportive and non-judgmental environment for all majors alike. It’s a good way to also educate yourself on the amazing things that are happening in the media which we do cover some very juicy topics.