SAG-AFTRA reaches deal with entertainment companies, ending 118-day strike

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

SAG-AFTRA, the union representing more than 160,000 actors, has reached a deal for a new contract with entertainment companies following a 118-day-long strike and a unanimous vote. 

The strikes first began in May after actors and screenwriters voiced their worries about the use of artificial intelligence and fair pay for streaming services. 

Expected in the new contract is “above-pattern” compensation for films and television on streaming platforms, better health care, concessions from studios on self-taped auditions, the guarantee that studios will not replicate their likeness using AI without any sort of payment or approval and more.

However, union members still need to approve the deal. Full details of the agreement will be released on Friday following the SAG-AFTRA National Board’s review and approval of the deal.

This was the first strike held by SAG-AFTRA since 1960 and the longest-running movie and TV strike in the union’s 90-year history.

According to an official post by SAG-AFTRA, the strike is scheduled to officially end at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday as well as in all picket locations.