Alix Page debuts latest EP on tour

Alix+Page+released+her+debut+album+on+Jan.+28+and+is+joining+singer+Gracie+Abrams+on+her+nationwide+tour+this+month.+

Photo courtesy of Dillon Matthew

Alix Page released her debut album on Jan. 28 and is joining singer Gracie Abrams on her nationwide tour this month.

By Sydney Wood, Assistant buzz Editor

Alix Page has a lot in common with other 19-year-olds. She likes visiting flea markets, vintage shops and her favorite coffee shop, Atla. 

But unlike most 19-year-olds, Page is heading on tour next month, joining Gracie Abrams on her first nationwide tour.  

Page is the opener for Abrams’ “This Is What It Feels Like Tour,” which will kick off in Salt Lake City on Feb. 2. The tour includes shows in Denver, Portland, New York, Nashville and Dallas, among others. 

In an email interview, Page said Abram followed her on Instagram after she posted a cover of Abrams’ song, “I miss you, I’m sorry.”

Since then, the two of them have been Instagram mutuals. 

Page’s opening set will include tunes from her latest extended play – titled “Old News” – that was released on Jan. 28. Page’s music lives within the indie-pop realm, and the EP includes songs like “Radiohead” and “June Gloom.”

The singer-songwriter said the four-song EP explores themes related to her personal experiences, like loss, growing up, “growing out of phases/people and learning how to speak up.” 

Page said her writing style involves intimate lyrics, “big anthem-y chorus(es) and lush guitars and synths.”

She said her music is inspired by the artists she grew up listening to, including Taylor Swift, Coldplay, U2, The Cure and The Killers.

“At that age, I was already somebody who liked to keep a tight lid on emotions but desperately wanted to express how deeply I felt them, so I was always kind of envious of those bands that write huge songs you wanna scream to,” Page said. “I think that’s played a role in my taste in production.”

Page said she matured a lot in 2020 and spent a lot of her time searching for clarity in her relationships, dealing with her graduating class’ unusual high school graduation that year. 

“High school ended on such a weird note, and that in itself felt like a breakup I never really got closure for … All of the songs kind of ask a question or are about being afraid to ask a question,” she said.

As a California native, Page said she knows the tour will be exhausting and is trying to mentally prepare herself for the cold weather and amount of time she’ll be touring, but she said she’s grateful that her band will be with her.

“This is gonna be my first time in most of these cities and first time being away from home for this long consecutively,” she said. “I’ve known my band since I was 14, so I’m thrilled to have them along for the ride. (I’m) glad I don’t have to experience it all alone.”  

On Feb. 8, Abrams and Page will perform at Chicago’s Metro music venue. The show will also be Page’s first time in Chicago. 

She said performing in Chicago feels “very grown-up,” and she has a lot of friends from the city, so she’s excited to cross it off her bucket list. 

“Also, the fact that I’m going with my best friends/band and team and we’re there for music just feels very official and fun,” she said. 

Page said she’s looking forward to connecting with the audience and playing some of her songs live for the first time. 

“I know every city’s gonna have a different ‘thing’ and create a different show,” Page said. “So I’m excited to see what happens.”