redveil brings the energy, transforms Foellinger into a mosh pit

James Hoeck
Rapper redveil performs at Foellinger Auditorium as attendees swarm the stage on Oct. 7.

redveil performed an electric, high-energy set at Foellinger Auditorium on Oct. 7. The event was hosted by Star Course, a student-run organization that brings prominent musical acts to campus each year.

redveil — real name Marcus Morton — has released three albums and many singles since his debut in 2019. His most recent release was an extended play titled “playing w/ fire,” from which he played several songs during the concert. 

The concert began at 7:30 p.m. when redveil’s opener, rapper STVE SØL, performed a 45-minute set. 

Upon SØL’s arrival on the stage, the audience stood up from their auditorium seats and congregated at the foot of the stage. The crowd began jumping and dancing, and this enthusiasm lasted through the sets of both SØL and redveil.

SØL announced during the set that he is planning on releasing his double album before the year is over.

Around 8:30 p.m., redveil’s DJ — named Razelle —  arrived on stage and got the crowd chanting redveil’s name before the 19-year-old rapper came on. 

To complete his DJ set, Razelle performed a song and redveil joined him on stage, jumping to the beat.

redveil opened his set with “giftbag.” Other songs from his hour-long set included “5500,” “2daside,” Weight” and his most recent single “black enuff.”  

During his set, redveil addressed the crowd.

“You guys are a really cool group of people,” redveil said. “I can already tell you guys are going to be my favorite college I’ve played at.” 

Hazy reds and blues from strobe lights and smoke machines filled the auditorium.

redveil was very interactive and energetic, getting the lively crowd to sing along, use their phone flashlights and even do a breathing exercise to manage the stress of being college students. 

“Music and playing for you guys is a way for me to manage stress, so we’re going to do a breathing exercise and get it all out,” redveil said. 

Once he finished the activity, redveil encouraged the crowd to scream as loud as they could for the next song.

Between songs, redveil took time to shout out his family, some of whom were in attendance. He said his cousin and aunt were in the audience, and he played a voice memo from his uncle. In the clip, his uncle addressed the crowd, saying they should be hype and bring the energy. 

Towards the end of the concert, redveil stopped and signed a few vinyls of his first album, “learn 2 swim,” that audience members had brought to the performance. 

“Lowkey wish we could do this all night,” redveil said. 

redveil finished with two more songs, “pg baby” and “pwf,” before he and his DJ exited the stage.