NLE Choppa announced as 2024 Spring Jam artist

Photo courtesy of Genius

The Illini Union Board announced on Tuesday night that NLE Choppa will be the University’s 2024 Spring Jam artist.

The announcement came following a trivia event at the Illini Union’s Courtyard Café. The board additionally posted a video in collaboration with Star Course, the University’s student concert committee, to announce the performer online.

Students were polled earlier in the semester for which artist they wanted to see at the annual free concert. Initial options consisted of acts such as Benny Blanco, Waka Flocka Flame, COIN, X Ambassadors, Rico Nasty and more.

Students were highly encouraged by the board to vote after mixed feelings were expressed over last year’s performer, Sean Kingston. Past performers brought to campus after student polling have included artists who have since found huge fame, such as rappers Post Malone, Yung Gravy and Lil Yachty.

The Illini Union Board further narrowed down potential options with a Spotify playlist containing songs by artists such as Declan McKenna, Hayley Kiyoko, Soulja Boy, THE DRIVER ERA and more.

NLE Choppa established himself as a standout rapper with his 2019 hit “Shotta Flow.” A remix of the song featuring Blueface gained the rapper immense popularity, and was followed by hits such as “Camelot” and “SLUT ME OUT.”

At the age of 21, NLE Choppa currently holds nearly 20 million monthly listeners on Spotify. The Tennessee rapper provides a sharp contrast to Kingston as a Spring Jam performer, being a much fresher face on the music scene.

NLE Choppa will perform on April 28 at 2 p.m. on the Main Quad. All students who show their i-card upon entry will have free admission to the event.