Sixth Street Brass performs at CU Jazz Fest

Sixth+Street+Brass+Band+Performs+at+the+Main+Lounge+in+Allen+Hall+on+Saturday.+
Anh-khoi Pham
Sixth Street Brass Band Performs at the Main Lounge in Allen Hall on Saturday.

On Oct. 28, Allen Hall was filled with the soulful rhythms and melodies of jazz as Sixth Street Brass took center stage. 

Upon entering the building’s lobby, tunes could be heard immediately. The show took place in the residence hall’s main lounge.  

The show promptly began at 7:30 p.m and ended at 9 p.m. with the band taking a break at 8:30 p.m. 

According to their website, Sixth Street Brass is a New Orleans-inspired group with a sound that draws from the traditional New Orleans style, Youngblood Brass, NO BS! and Lucky Chops. They also cover modern pop tunes and classic funk, soul and R&B music. 

While event attendance was around 20 people, many students stopped by to peek into what was going on. 

Annapoorna Naiayn, sophomore in Engineering, said she was walking past the performance and stopped to check it out.

“It was a really, really amazing performance, a lot of energy and a joy to watch,” Naiayn said.

Katie Rafacz, freshman in LAS, said there is always something new to be found on such a large campus.

“I think Jazz is a very fun genre and have always enjoyed listening to it,” Rafacz said. “So when I heard it from the hallway I was kind of excited to see what was going on. I didn’t know there were groups like this at UIUC so that was kind of cool.” 

Aside from the music, Jimmy Johns was put out for viewers to munch on during the performance. Cookies seemed to be a popular take, as many walked out of the lounge with them in hand. 

Jullie Ruggles, freshman in ACES, said she took the opportunity to expose herself to more niche musical groups. 

“In a big school, I like finding small groups to watch,” Ruggles said. “I think music brings people together, and watching shows like this makes school feel like home. It’s important to try new things, and I am glad I did so.” 

This event took place as a part of the CU Jazz Festival, which occurs annually in October. This year’s festival concluded on Oct. 29.