Karol G makes history as first female Latin headliner at Lollapalooza

Jacob Slabosz
Colombian singer Karol G performs with a colorful set at Lollapalooza on Thursday.

Columbian singer Karol G made history Thursday night as the first ever female Latin headlining artist to perform at the festival.

Karol G’s stage setup was certainly one of the most eye-catching, even before the singer stepped out on the stage. Snake inflatables, a huge sun and colorful flowers decorated the Bud Light Stage during her performance.

The singer’s performance was highly anticipated, as the large crowd began chanting ten minutes before she even took the stage.

Karol G kicked off her set with “TQG,” a single off of her most recent studio album “Mañana Será Bonito.” While the song usually features fellow Columbian pop star Shakira, Karol G held up the performance on her own by singing both portions.

Karol G additionally performed her and rapper Nicki Minaj’s 2019 hit “Tusa,” which earned a loud and positive reaction from the crowd. Again, Karol G rapped Minaj’s portion of the song along with her own.

As a Latin singer, Karol G performed almost the entirety of her set in Spanish. The artist has collaborated with performers from a variety of backgrounds in the past, with most of her discography being done in Spanish.

Language barrier aside, Karol G’s infectious smile spoke louder than words as she took the stage. Immense joy showed on her face as she couldn’t stop smiling through the whole of her 80 minute set.

The singer showed her passion with an energetic dance routine accompanying nearly every song, which her backup performers occasionally participated in as well.

Karol G’s nearly all female supporting group of musicians and singers played a heavy role in the performance. During “Gucci los Paños,” a sousaphone and accordion were played on stage to perform all musical aspects of the song live for the crowd.

Karol G’s performance was incredibly high energy and positive, as was highlighted with her performance of “Mientras Me Curo Del Cora,” a brass-heavy song featuring plenty of rainbows to light up the stage.

The singer continued to spread the love by showing plentiful gratitude to all in attendance. This included blowing kisses to the camera and making plenty of hearts for her fans.

Additionally, Karol G made sure to share the spotlight with her interpreter, who stood to the side of the stage for the entire set. 

During one of her particularly quick rap songs, “Ojos Ferrari,” Karol G stood behind the interpreter and hyped up his incredibly quick signing as he translated the song.

Karol G closed her set with “Amargura,” during which she walked through the crowd to get some up-close interactions with fans. Her final song was “S91,” which featured a shower of fireworks to end the historic performance with a bang.