The Beaches open first day of Lollapalooza with energetic set

Jacob Slabosz
Toronto band The Beaches took to the Bud Light stage on Thursday.

The Beaches opened the Bud Light stage on the first day of Lollapalooza with an energetic set that got the crowd moving.

“This has always been a dream of ours, so thank you for coming out early,” lead singer Jordan Miller said to enthusiastic yells from the crowd.

The Canadian rock quartet was formed in 2013 by sisters Jordan and Kylie Miller, two guitarists who also perform vocals for the group. Drummer Eliza Enman-McDaniel and keyboard player/vocalist Leandra Earl were later added to complete the group.

Despite being one of the first performances of the festival, The Beaches drew a fairly large and diverse crowd; festival-goers of all ages turned out to dance along with the band.

The 45 minute set kept up an endless flow of energy, jumping around and interacting with the crowd to keep the momentum going.

The Beaches’ synchronized dance moves and infectious enthusiasm for performing were well received by the Lollapalooza crowd, who loudly sang along with the group.

One of the group’s opening numbers was recent single “Everything is Boring,” which has reached nearly two millions streams on Spotify since its release in early April. 

After releasing a few singles over the past few years, the group is set to release their second album, “Blame My Ex,” this September.

The album will come six years after “Late Show,” their debut record, which was released in 2017. 

The Beaches have additionally released four EPs, dating back a full decade to the self-titled project “The Beaches” in 2013.

Despite being a smaller group, The Beaches have seen success in their career already, with their 2017 single “T-Shirt” hitting No. 1 on the Billboard Canada Rock chart for a total of nine weeks.

“Blame Brett,” a single from the upcoming album, is the group’s latest release, as well as their most popular song so far. The hit recently surpassed 9 million streams on Spotify.

The Beaches will begin the “Blame My Ex” tour in early October, traveling throughout the United States and Canada for two months. Information and links to ticket sales can be found online here.