TXT lights up Lollapalooza with explosive headlining performance

James Hoeck
TOMMOROW X TOGETHER begins their 90 minute performance at the Bud Light stage on Saturday.

K-pop group Tomorrow X Together, also known as TXT, headlined the third day of Lollapalooza 2023 with a 90-minute set of high energy dancing, singing and interacting with fans.

The Bud Light stage was packed by TXT’s performance at 8:30p.m, with some dedicated fans even arriving when the festival doors opened at 11:00a.m. just to secure a spot for the group.

The wait was a long one, especially with the cooler, rainy weather. Festival goers were drenched throughout the day, but the sky cleared up in time for the group to take the stage in the evening.

Fans of TXT came prepared for the weather with ponchos, and prepared for the set with plastic lightsticks to show their support for the group. Additionally, some fans passed out “freebies” — free stickers, cards or other small TXT-themed items — to people in the crowd before the performance.

The K-pop band, which debuted in 2019 after being formed by Big Hit Entertainment, consists of members Yeonjun, Soobin, Beomgyu, Taehyun and HueningKai.

The screens surrounding the Bud Light stage were filled with clips of TXT for 30 minutes leading up to their performance. With ten minutes to go, a countdown clock appeared, with fans erupting in screams every minute.

At long last, the band took the stage to ear-splitting cheers from the enormous crowd. TXT opened their set with “0X1 = LOVESONG,” bringing huge energy to the stage with their dancing and singing.

The live backing band, which consisted of only a few members, kept the energy coming as they supported the group’s vocals on stage.

TXT continued their set with “Devil By the Window” and “Can’t You See Me.”

The group took up the entire stage with their five members, with some numbers being more tightly choreographed in the center of the action, and some allowing for the members to move more freely and interact with the crowd.

After the first few songs, TXT took the time to each introduce themselves individually to the crowd. The band expressed gratitude at being able to perform at Lollapalooza for a second time in two years.

The set provided nonstop entertainment, with the band switching everything from set pieces to outfits to microphones at least once. 

Some numbers included special effects, such as flames being brought out during “Good Boy Gone Bad.”

TXT had a range of surprises in store for the crowd, one of which was a performance of their unreleased song “Blue Spring.” 

An essential part of the song is crowd participation, as the audience sang along as instructed by the band. 

The biggest surprise of the night came during TXT’s performance of their hit “Happy Fools,” which features American rapper Coi Leray. 

Leray came out on stage to help TXT with their performance, adding on a snippet of her most popular song, “Players.” Leray gave each member of the band a hug before exiting the stage after her performance.

The rain made a return for the second half of the concert, but went largely unnoticed by the crowd who were completely engaged with the set. Festival goers laughed, cried and screamed throughout TXT’s performance.

Towards the end of their set, TXT played their most recent single, “Do It Like That,” which features the Jonas Brothers. Though the brothers did not make an appearance, TXT expressed love and respect for them to the crowd

The band also promoted a new remix of the song coming out later this week. Additionally, they invited the crowd to come visit them on their upcoming world tour. 

The set closed with a literal bang, as fireworks lit up the Chicago skyline while the band performed “Sugar Rush Ride.” The band left the stage at 10:00p.m. to huge cheers and screams from the crowd.