Lil Yachty brings enormous crowd to Bud Light stage on Lollapalooza closing day

James Hoeck
Lil Yachty starts his set at the Bud light stage with many of his big hits on Sunday.

Rapper Lil Yachty brought a crowd worthy of a headlining set to the Bud Light stage on Sunday afternoon. The rapper kept high energy going through an hour long set on the final day of Lollapalooza 2023.

The rapper sported a green plaid shirt and sunglasses, despite the rainy weather. Fans weren’t discouraged by rain coming down after Lil Yachty took the stage, starting with some of his biggest hits.

Fans got jumping to the rapper’s 2016 single “Minnesota.” Lil Yachty repeatedly cut the audio from his microphone and speakers to hear the crowd sing lyrics entirely by themselves.

Lil Yachty sang and rapped some sections of his songs entirely acapella, using only his natural voice to carry the performance.

The crowd turned into one massive mosh pit as the rapper brought out some of his most famous collaboration hits, including “I Spy” and “Broccoli.”

Like “Minnesota,” both of these hits were released in 2016. Lil Yachty did play some tunes from his newest album, “Let’s Start Here,” but his older classics remained the best received by the crowd.

Lil Yachty took a small break 20 minutes into his performance, and returned with an exceptionally loud guitar feature from his backing band.

Screens on either side of the stage showed heavily filtered and distorted footage of the crowd to accompany Lil Yachty’s performance.

The rapper clearly enjoyed performing in Chicago, as he told the crowd from the stage.

“I feel like Chicago is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever been to,” Lil Yachty said.

He additionally acknowledged rappers from Chicago, including the late Juice WRLD, who he paid respects to on stage.

The middle section of the set included heavy autotune on Lil Yachty’s vocals as he switched to more of a singing focus, accompanied by one of his backup singers. 

The rapper improvised and scatted as the crowd swayed through the rain to the beat of the music.

The bad weather did appear to get through to some fans, as the audience began to thin towards the last section of the rapper’s performance.

For the final section of his set, Lil Yachty mixed rapping and singing before bringing out his hit “Poland” to close out the performance.