University to provide COVID-19 emergency grants for students in need

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Staff Writer

The University of Illinois System is using millions from the recent government stimulus package to provide grants for students who are experiencing financial hardships due to COVID-19. 

Known as the Illinois Cares: COVID-19 Support Program, the funds are drawn from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act. 

Students can submit a request for a grant of up to $1,000 for financial hardships that have resulted from the pandemic. Amounts greater than $1,000 may be considered in “extraordinary situations.” 

All students are eligible to apply for the funds. 

If you lost your off-campus job, have additional medical expenses or technology needs associated with the pandemic, we have funds that can help you,” said Stephen Bryan, associate vice chancellor in an email statement. 

The application asks what resources the student is in need of during this time. This includes money for unexpected expenses, food, housing, out-of-pocket medical expenses, technology, academic support and loss of off-campus employment. 

Students are also asked to give a short description of their current situation and reason for wanting the funds. 

The Emergency Grant aid will be awarded in accordance with the regulations of federal, state and institutional rules. 

If a student is awarded the grant, it will be processed through their student account and directly refunded to them “based upon (their) need.” The grant will not be applied toward any balances due on their account.