Carle Health begins sharing COVID-19 data

The Carle Foundation Hospital on March 2, 2019 is pictured above. Carle Health has recently began sharing COVID-19 data.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

The Carle Health System will be sharing daily updates on the number of hospitalizations for COVID-19 across its five hospitals, as well as COVID-19 testing trends via an online dashboard. 

Tuesday’s first update revealed 76 people are hospitalized for COVID-19 in Carle Foundation Hospital, with seven in the Intensive Care Unit. 

Since March, 79 people hospitalized for the virus in Carle Health’s five hospitals have died, while 481 COVID-19 hospitalizations have been discharged. 

Carle Health’s updates present a fuller picture of area hospitalizations than Champaign-Urbana Public Health’s website does since the latter only reports the number of Champaign County residents who have been hospitalized for the virus. Currently, 10 residents are hospitalized for the virus. 

“We need the information to inspire action rather than spread fear,” said Charles Dennis,  chief medical officer for Carle Health. “We’re at a critical juncture in our fight. Our teams are continually rising to the challenge, but the reality is the rapid growth in cases and hospitalizations is straining our healthcare system and staff.”

In addition to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Carle Health reported another 22 hospitalizations at its BroMenn Medical Center in Normal, Illinois, and eight at the Richmond Memorial Hospital in Olney, Illinois. No hospitalizations at the Hoopeston Regional Health Center or Eureka Hospital were COVID-19 positive. 

In the week ending Saturday, 14.9% of COVID-19 tests processed at Carle Health detected the virus, up from just under 8% in early October. 

@esimmsnews