Education personnel now eligible for vaccine

Ryan Ash

A Champaign County resident receives the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at the I-Hotel on Jan. 12. Select members of the University community are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Features Editor

Friday afternoon, Chancellor Robert Jones sent a Massmail to all faculty, staff and students with updates from the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District that select members of the University community are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.

This expanded category of eligible vaccine recipients is still within Phase 1B of the vaccine rollout. It includes those working with younger children from preschool and daycare to high school students.

The rollout for this round of vaccines begins Feb. 1. Multiple locations will be set up around the county, several located in schools so teachers and employees may receive their shot on-site. Other locations for clinics include the Rantoul Youth Center and the former location of the Dress Barn on Market Street in Champaign. Each location has a specific registration protocol in place.

University members now eligible for the vaccine include employees at the preschool, primary school, high school, childhood development lab or instructors of at least one in-person class for the semester.

Those working in-person for the University’s COVID-19 response can also receive the vaccine as well as those working in-person for Facilities & Services, Housing/Student Affairs, Technology Services and the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.

The Massmail also noted that they believe the next group of vaccine-eligible individuals will include all remaining University employees.

Those looking for updated information regarding future clinic dates can regularly check the CUPHD website as well as their social media accounts.

How long those receiving this next round of vaccines the week of Feb. 1 will have to wait before receiving their second dose depends on what vaccine their receive. Those who get the Pfizer Vaccine must wait 21 days and those who get the Moderna Vaccine must wait 28 days.

Both doses are necessary for full vaccination.

The end of the Massmail encouraged all members of the campus community to continue following all safety procedures including regular testing, wearing face coverings, social distancing, hand washing and avoiding large gatherings.

The CUPHD will continue working towards vaccinating as many members of the community as quickly as possible.