Chancellor Jones talks COVID-19 student vaccinations, testing, variant

Mark Capapas

Chancellor Robert Jones prepares to deliver the State of the University address on Jan. 24, 2020. Jones answers questions from the Illinois community below.

By JJ Kim

After vaccines become more widespread for students, what will COVID-19 testing look like for students? 

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District is leading vaccine distribution to our county. We will follow their guidance and share vaccination opportunities with students when they become available. Even after a student is fully vaccinated, they will be required to continue mandatory COVID-19 testing. This will be the University policy until the medical community has a better understanding of the impact of the vaccine in preventing disease spread.

What do you recommend to students who are vaccinated and want to resume normal life for themselves? 

Individuals who are vaccinated (faculty, staff and students) are required to follow all University COVID-19 safety protocols including testing regularly, wearing face coverings, practicing social distancing, etc.

If a senior that’s about to graduate receives their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine from the University, will they be able to receive their second dose even after they graduate? 

The University will work with students to help ensure they are able to receive their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. We will share more guidance as we work with CUPHD to continue offering vaccines throughout this semester.

What is your biggest concern about being able to make it through the spring semester before vaccines are more widespread? 

I worry that individuals who are vaccinated will not practice COVID-19 safety protocols. I also worry about pandemic fatigue among students. It is absolutely essential, now more than ever, that we all continue to be diligent to protect ourselves and one another.

What is the biggest positive that you see that shows the University will safely make it through the worst part of the pandemic? 

We have been incredibly encouraged that there was no COVID-19 transmission in our in-person classrooms for the fall semester. I think we can say that our classrooms are one of the safest places to be in our county.

How does the new variant affect the University’s plans for student safety during the spring semester?

We are working with CUPHD closely and continue to monitor the situation. We will follow their guidance.

If some students decide not to get vaccinated, what will the University’s response to that be?

When vaccines become available, students, faculty and staff can decide if they wish to be vaccinated. It is not mandatory.

How much less plastic does the new test tubes consume compared to the original vials used?

When you compare the new (smaller) test tubes to the previous (larger) test tubes, we are reducing the amount of plastic by about 75%.

How close did the University come to moving the spring semester to fully online at any point?

The University SHIELD team continues to monitor our positivity rate and number of cases. If at any point, the University leadership felt it was unsafe to continue in-person instruction, we would have made that decision.

How well has the planned non-instructional days this semester been received with students and staff?

We’re hopeful the non-instructional days will give students a bit of a break, and we have instructed professors not to have any mandatory course-related requirements on those days. Of course, while we would preferred to follow our regular academic calendar, including having Spring Break, the health and safety of our campus community remains our number one priority.