SHIELD CU expands testing to community members ages 8 and older

Cameron Krasucki

A University student holds a funnel attached to a Covid-19 spit test at the ARC on Feb. 1. The SHIELD CU COVID-19 testing program will expand to community members ages 8 and older.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Interim Editor-in-Chief

The SHIELD CU COVID-19 testing program will be expanded to all community members ages 8 and older free at no cost beginning Tuesday. 

Testing participants will download the Safer Community app, which helps participants find testing centers, learn news about COVID-19 and its management and confidentially receive their test results. 

Results are typically completed within 12 hours after testing, according to the OSF HealthCare website

If a participant tests positive, they will gain automotive access to OSF HealthCare COVID-19 solutions. In addition, they will have the option to receive care virtually or in person. 

Testing will be conducted at the State Farm Center. The hours for testing are Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. till noon and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.