UI System requires students on campus to be vaccinated for fall semester

Cameron Krasucki

A pharmacist at the Church of the Living God fills a syringe with a Moderna vaccine on Feb. 20. The University will require all students to be vaccinated for the fall semester.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Interim Editor-in-Chief

The University of Illinois System will require students who plan to be on campus this fall to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

According to a Massmail released Monday, those who are not vaccinated for health conditions or other reasons will need to follow campus-specific guidelines and any exemption protocols issued by each university. 

Individuals who will work or study remotely during the fall are exempted from vaccination requirements. 

“This requirement is consistent with our own scientific modeling of the risks associated with the spread of the virus and its variants. It is also consistent with the Illinois Department of Public Health’s goals,” the Massmail said. 

The announcement comes days after the University announced that individuals who are vaccinated and have uploaded their Vaccination Record Card are exempt from COVID-19 testing. 

52.08% of the eligible Champaign County population has been vaccinated as of Monday, according to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District. 

The Massmail said that students have helped make the University of Illinois System a “model for the nation” throughout the COVID-19 crisis.

“We look forward to their help in setting the standard again this fall, a semester that will restore most in-person instruction and many of the other traditional rhythms of campus life that COVID interrupted last year,” the Massmail said. “Widespread vaccinations will help us do that.”