UI to hold online classes during first week of spring semester

Stacks+of+Covid-19+tests+at+the+ARC+on+Feb.+1.+With+a+surge+of+positive+cases+and+along+with+the+Omicron+variant%2C+the+first+week+of+the+spring+semester+will+be+held+online.+

Cameron Krasucki

Stacks of Covid-19 tests at the ARC on Feb. 1. With a surge of positive cases and along with the Omicron variant, the first week of the spring semester will be held online.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, News Editor

The University announced Monday that classes will be held online the first week of the spring 2022 semester due to the Omicron variant and increased positive COVID-19 cases.

The University has developed guidelines for those participating in any on-campus activities in the spring. This includes receiving two negative COVID-19 tests at least three days apart before Jan. 21. For the first test, students are required to upload a negative off-campus test to the MyMcKinley Portal.

“Increases in positive COVID-19 cases, holiday travel and the emergence of the Omicron variant present real risks, and we want to maximize the safety of our community when you return to campus in a few weeks,” said Chancellor Robert Jones in a Massmail.

Although the University is still considering if COVID-19 boosters will be required for the spring semester, they strongly recommend that those who are eligible get their shot during winter break.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and seek guidance from health experts at our University, in our community, in our state and in our country,” Jones said in the Massmail.

In-person instruction will resume Jan. 24.