Questions for the Chancellor Oct. 20

Mark Capapas

Chancellor Robert Jones prepares to deliver the State of the University address on Jan. 24, 2020. Jones answers questions from the Illinois community below.

By JJ Kim

How do alumni donations that have been made this year compare to last year’s donations? 

We know this has been a difficult year for so many, and we are grateful for the generosity of our donors. Alumni and supporters of the university have given charitably to the university about 20% less than the same period last fiscal year.

How much money has the University received from alumni donations since the pandemic started?

From March 13 through the end of September, alumni and supporters of the University gave roughly $118 million. Many of our donors have shared that they have been inspired by our COVID-19 response. It is encouraging to see support for our university continue even in these unprecedented times.

Has the University invested more resources in the counseling center to counteract the effects that COVID-19 has on students’ mental health?

When it became apparent that the Counseling Center would not be able to offer traditional in-person services, resources were invested to ensure that Illinois students would continue to be served.  All staff clinicians were trained in telehealth, and policies and procedures were revised and rewritten accordingly. A HIPAA-compliant video platform, PHI Zoom, was added to ensure that telehealth services are provided safely and confidentially. The Outreach and Prevention Services were modified so that students could engage in skill-building and psychoeducation via online platform as well. The University also just launched WellTrack, designed to help students track their moods and teach them about techniques to manage challenging emotions and situations.

For students who are struggling to keep up, whether it be academically, socially, mentally or all three, what’s your message to those students?

I hope that whenever you are struggling at the University, you understand that you are not alone. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your friends, your professors and the resources provided by the University for help. I value every student at this university, and I am committed to providing our students opportunities to succeed, even as they endure the challenges of this COVID-19 pandemic.