COVID-19 update: UI reports 43 new cases, 0.25% 7-day positivity rate

A+Carle+worker+gets+the+COVID-19+Moderna+vaccine+ready+to+distribute.+Booster+shots+are+recommended+for+those+over+the+age+of+65+and+for+others+who+are+immunocompromised.+

Cameron Krasucki

A Carle worker gets the COVID-19 Moderna vaccine ready to distribute. Booster shots are recommended for those over the age of 65 and for others who are immunocompromised.

By Vivian La and George Phelan

This week the University recorded 43 new cases, according to the University testing dashboard. This number is up 10 cases from last week. The 7-day positivity rate as of Oct. 1 is 0.25%.

The highest number of new cases for this week was reported on Monday and Thursday with 10 new cases each day. 

In Champaign County, the University’s 7-day positivity rate is lower than the county’s, which is 2.7%, excluding University data. However, including the University, the 7-day positivity rate is 1.5%.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Champaign County is still an area of high transmission, along with every other county in Illinois except Greene County in eastern Illinois. 

The county recorded 236 new cases on Oct. 1.

In Champaign County, the greatest density of cases is in Rantoul, with 110 active cases. The University area has the second-greatest density of cases.

According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, Illinois has a 7-day test positivity rate of 2.2%, down from last week’s rate statewide. IDPH reported 3,356 new cases as of Oct. 1.

Additionally, COVID-19 booster shots are being recommended by the CDC for those who are immunocompromised and people over the age of 65. Booster shots are available through CUPHD and Massmails were sent out to the campus community this week about availability and clinics.

Pfizer has submitted data to the FDA in order to seek approval for the use of the COVID-19 vaccine for children ages five through 11.