Christian McBride conducts social justice awareness through jazz performance

The+audience+applauds+at+the+end+of+the+performance+as+the+performers+bow+in+the+Colwell+Playhouse+on+Sunday.+The+jazz+performance+paid+tribute+to+civil+rights+activists+Rosa+Parks%2C+Martin+Luther+King+Jr.+and+more.+

Sydney Laput

The audience applauds at the end of the performance as the performers bow in the Colwell Playhouse on Sunday. The jazz performance paid tribute to civil rights activists Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and more.

By Rebecca Oriza, Staff Writer

On Sunday evening, Krannert’s Colwell Playhouse buzzed with excitement for Grammy-winning Christian McBride’s performance in collaboration with both campus and community-wide choirs. The show was completely sold out, with roughly 500 people in attendance.

Alternating from conducting the jazz band to playing his double bass, the concert brought to life McBride’s 2020 album “The Moment revisited: A Musical Portrait of Four Icons.” The album is composed of eight movements that pay tribute to civil rights figures such as Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Malcolm X and Muhammed Ali.

The concert was the second and final part of the University’s ‘New Awakening’ series, which has been under the direction of Dr. Barrington Coleman. Kevin Hamilton, the dean for the college of FAA, described Dr. Coleman’s vision for the series as a “celebration of human dignity, an art that brings us together.”

Dr. Coleman is an associate professor in the school of music and the director of the Varsity Men’s Glee Club. The Glee Club was joined by members of other University choirs such as the Jazz Chorus, Women’s Glee Club and church choir members from the community.

Jake Patterson, senior in Media and tenor for Men’s Glee Club, said the choir had been preparing for the concert since the end of last semester.

“I loved it,” Patterson said. “It was one of the most moving performances I’ve been a part of. It was an unreal thing to be a part of. Now I’m about to graduate, and for my last concert (on campus) getting to perform alongside Christian McBride was very cool. It was the pinnacle of my music performing years.”

Brian Pattison, a graduate student studying jazz music performance, sang bass with the chorus. Pattison said this was his first vocal performance since a kid.

“The most fun I’ve ever performed,” Pattison said. “Getting out of my comfort zone is nerve-wracking, performing alongside someone like Christian McBride — even more so. That was something else.”

Jaylon Muchison, sophomore in FAA, felt very moved by the performance. He said the concert would be enough to get him through finals.

“It was just a message of coming together and trying to make life better for everyone,” Muchison said. “That’s something I strive to do as a musician. With musicians such as Christian, J.D., everyone in chorus and band, and community leaders who narrated; it was nice to feel like I was a part of something.”

The performance started with bluesy tones, and advanced to incorporate melodic minors and augmented chords. Hints of gospel-infused music progressed to a joyous atmosphere. The concert ended with a snippet of Obama’s “We Can” speech.

Muchison noted that the wide variety of sounds and musical influences combined into a cohesive performance. Muchison also said that events such as McBride’s concert are important to cultivating a diverse campus community.

“The instruments have a genuine conversation with each other, the chemistry was all there,” Muchison said. “The soundscape was just amazing, McBride is insane. Performances like these are so incredibly important not only to students of color but to the culture of Krannert and the students of (the University). We always talk about culture, diversity and inclusion; it starts with community programs like this.”

Sean Lane-Bortell, junior in FAA, shared a similar sentiment.

“I really liked it, just seeing how they had all the different elements, the narration was mirroring what was happening musically. It was a masterpiece. The music really helped bring the message alive. That message is still relevant today. Even though the work of these icons happened a long time ago.”

Muchison heard about the event when he attended a workshop led by Jason Dierden. Dierden was one of the narrators, and one of the many community members who were a part of the production. Muchison expressed his longing for more events like this.

“Have more things like this: community-based and culturally meaningful events on campus,” Muchison said. “It uplifts us as a student body and just as general human being.”