Biden visit to UI to stress accomplishments in 'It’s On Us' Initiative

By Declan Harty

Vice President Joe Biden will be accompanied by actress Jessica Szohr on his Thursday visit to the University to stress accomplishments made by students at the University and recognize the importance behind Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month, according to a press release.

Biden will also release details and updates on the Obama administration’s “It’s On Us” initiative at his 1 p.m. event at Campus Recreation Center East. The release stated that Biden will speak to the role that students on campus have “played in standing up and speaking out against sexual assault and supporting survivors on their campuses.”

The University is just one of more than 200 colleges in the U.S. that has pledged to work with the “It’s On Us” initiative, which was launched in 2014 by the Obama administration to combat and prevent sexual assaults on college campuses.

“We are committed to creating an environment—be it a dorm room, a party, a bar or club, or the greater college campus—where sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported,” the press release stated.

The event, which was announced on Friday, has sold out of available tickets, according to the Illinois Student Senate, and all attendees will need to present official tickets at the door and have to undergo security measures similar to those at an airport.

The campaign has found newfound partnerships and support from organizations and companies including Pandora, Funny or Die and USA Network. Szohr is the star of USA Network’s new television show, “Complications,” and formerly played Vanessa Abrams on The CW’s “Gossip Girl.”