Greek Reunion reunites students during summer

Many line up in front of Joe’s Brewery during Greek Reunion on July 12, 2014. Each year, Greek Reunion draws many students back to Champaign during the summer season.

By Rebecca Wood, Staff writer

From freshman to graduate, students of the Greek community came together mid-summer to pay a visit back to Champaign for the annual tradition, Greek Reunion.  

Nearly one month ago from July 12-14, thousands of students came back to campus to reunite with one another since the school year ended in May.  

Charlotte Roberts, rising sophomore in LAS, experienced Greek Reunion for the first time this summer.  

“(One’s experience) was a little bit different in the summer than what your experience in Champaign typically is,” Roberts said. “It was nice to connect with people you can’t see when school is over.” 

Roberts said with the business of summer and her friends being spread out in proximity at home, it was a great way to reconnect with people.  

Kyle O’Malley, rising senior in Business, studied abroad in Barcelona this past spring.  He said it was different being back on campus for the weekend.   

“I felt like an older guy this year,” O’Malley said. “But I realized I still have the stamina of a young man.” 

O’Malley said the campus changed since he was back on campus, but the changes had not necessarily bettering the social environment. 

“There’s no bars anymore,” O’Malley said. “I went to the The Hub for the first time since I was abroad.  It’s way too nice for the commoners of Champaign-Urbana.” 

With the heavy crowds and the high temperatures, Roberts said it’s important to stay in a group and keep track of friends. 

“It’s important for your friends to look out for each other before anything,” Roberts said. 

Though members of the Illinois Panhellenic Council and the Illinois Interfraternal Council attend this weekend as a yearly tradition, neither issues any official safety warnings or guidelines for Greek Reunion. 

Illinois Panhellenic Council promotes Greek Reunion on its Instagram but declined to comment when asked about the weekend. 

Illinois Interfraternal Council also declined to comment. 

After graduation, few students return to campus, according to O’Malley.  For him, this summer was bittersweet as this will be his last time coming to the summer reunion.  

“Enjoy it while you can because it’ll all be gone in an instant,” O’Malley said. “College moves so fast.”