Facebook meme page connects students amid virus

By Sidney Madden, Staff Writer

March 23, 2020

In the wake of social distancing efforts to combat COVID-19, college students are going to niche parts of the internet to connect with others. Some are opting to learn and post viral TikTok dances, others are hosting Zoom parties and many are turning to memes.  On a given week, Andy Zhou, senior in busine...

CU Potters’ Club offers creative outlet for community

By Anna Pevey, Senior Reporter

March 11, 2020

With around 50 members who share the love of pottery, the local CU Potters' Club has been in the area for nearly 51 years. Currently, the club is located at 900 S. Race St. The Daily Illini spoke with Cathy Cunningham, club historian, who has been involved with different organizational parts of the club,...

Cities do not wish to profit from parking meters

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

February 25, 2020

Cities have seen an increase in revenue from parking meters, especially since they first offered mobile parking apps to residents and visitors. The city of Champaign, Illinois, estimates 25% of its parking transactions come from the MobileMeter app, and the city of Evanston, Illinois, estimates tha...

Campus and city members react to state-wide cannabis legalization

By Tianbin Chen, Contributing Writer

February 13, 2020

On June 25, Governor Pritzker signed into law the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, which took effect Jan. 1. The act makes legal the cultivation, processing, transportation and sale of cannabis by individuals and businesses licensed by the state of Illinois. The act legalizes the purchase, use and poss...

Local businesses shine at Lovey Dovey Hootenanny Pop-Up

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Assistant Features Editor

February 12, 2020

The Rose Bowl Tavern in Urbana was warmly lit as locals sat together to share a beer. Some gathered around the bar while others faced the stage, preparing for the live music of the weekly Urbana Hootenanny to begin. This week, however, booths were set up to the right of the stage for a special “Lovey...

Cleaning up: Two entrepreneurs profit from students’ dirty laundry

By Anna Pevey, Senior Reporter

February 5, 2020

When DJ and Bobby Boykin took over Student Valet in 2013, they had no idea how much they would impact the student population at the University. “We saw and heard the student population stressing and struggling over the laundry situations they were in, and we decided to take over Student Valet in...

Champaign percussionist to open teaching studio

By Features Staff

February 4, 2020

From marching with the Cavaliers' drumline to touring professionally, Ian Sheperd has played percussion for the last 20 years in every music setting imaginable. He's performed on hundreds of recordings such as full-length albums, video game soundtracks, commercials and albums. Now, Shepherd has taken...

From plants to energy: Sustainability RSO makes biodiesel out of soybeans

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

January 21, 2020

The turn of the new decade has caused many professionals and activists to recommit to solving climate change, including the Illinois Biodiesel Initiative, an RSO that promotes sustainability on campus. IBI collects soybean oil from the Ikenberry Dining Hall and converts it to biodiesel fuel and soap. ...

Leader of iVenture Accelerator lands spot on Forbes 2020 30 Under 30

By Ethan Simmons, Senior Reporter

December 12, 2019

Manu Edakara is the associate director of Entrepreneurial Communities for the Gies College of Business and leader of its iVenture Accelerator, a resource beacon for student startups. iVenture takes no ownership stake in the startups it helps. Before that, the class of ‘14 Illinois graduate was a techno...

Art club voices frustration at University funding

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

December 10, 2019

When Chantal Vaca found out RSO funding was included in student fees, she was intrigued, especially because she’s a co-founder of The Collective, an arts magazine and RSO.  “I had no idea that each student paid a set amount on their fees to the University. It’s not something that has been ad...

Orphans Treasure Box helps orphanages, homeless shelters

By Zhuolin Joanna Liu, Contributing Writer

December 5, 2019

The cheerful doorbell rings again. Another visitor. A second after, the bookstore returns to silence, with only the rustling of pages flipping in the background. No music. Other than brochures and business cards on the counter, a white, marble Jesus Christ statuette catches attention. Away from the aust...

Student entrepreneur ecosystem combats lack of structure

By Ethan Simmons, Staff Writer

December 3, 2019

The entrepreneurship community at Illinois has plenty of resources but lacks connective tissue. According to entrepreneurship figures on campus, students stagnate while shuffling between these resources, inching closer to the dreaded “wantrepreneur” stereotype: All talk, no action. Manu Edakara...

Next Page »