University Alum uses TikTok to help students land jobs

By Alexis Lazaro, Contributing Writer March 4, 2021

It’s no secret that one of the most dreaded aspects of the undergraduate experience is successfully securing a career after graduation. From writing the perfect resumé to networking with other alumni...

Datamatch forges love connections on campus

By Matt Troher, Assistant Longform Editor February 12, 2021

Love is in the air. Or, perhaps, love is in the algorithm. Datamatch, an online match-making service oriented around Valentine’s Day, was developed, like many tech startups — at Harvard University....

The Planters Peanutters wave from the Peanut Mobile while on the road. Tyler Towne, one of the peanutters, along with his coworkers recently made a stop in Champaign.

Peanutters program shells out a good time

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Features Editor February 4, 2021

Every year, nine recent college graduates pack up their belongings and hop aboard one of the three Planters Peanuts NUT mobiles for one year. This peanut-shaped vehicle is bright yellow and travels across...

Allergenius Baking Co starts up students' business experience

Allergenius Baking Co starts up students’ business experience

By Lily Dolan, Staff Writer December 2, 2020

The startup community at the University has drawn attention from all across the country. A number of incredibly successful businesses have found their start in the halls of The Union or within University...

Zoe Hannon, sophomore in Business, presents her acai bowl in front of Foellinger Auditorium on Friday. Shine Acai opened this May.

UI Business student opens Shine Açaí

By Catherine Pavilionis, Contributing Writer November 2, 2020

Finally settled into the adjusted workload of online learning, students are able to find some sort of routine in the madness. For Zoe Hannon, sophomore in Business, there is always something going on between...

A worker at the Ye Olde Donut Shop checks out a customer on Wednesday morning.

Small businesses work hard to serve their community

By Catherine Pavilionis, Contributing Writer October 7, 2020

In a time filled with so many unknowns, one thing a community can hope to rely on is the small businesses that provide their daily cup of coffee, health or beauty appointments or the special dinner they...

Senior Vice President of Paypal Sri Shivananda poses for a professional photo. Shivananda was a keynote speaker at the Reflections / Projections conference.

Tech conference, Reflections Projections goes virtual

By Nandika Chatterjee, Staff Writer September 30, 2020

Reflections|Projections (R|P) is an annual technological conference at the University. This year, the conference was held from Sept. 21 to 26. The conference invited notable guest speakers known for their...

The creators of the FinalsClub app, Ravi Patel, Rishi Masand and Vedant Mehta pose for a photo in a Zoom call.

FinalsClub app connects students even remotely

By Zainab Qureshi, Longform Editor August 27, 2020

As students return to universities and schools across the nation, education systems are bracing for a resurgence of coronavirus cases in their communities. Due to the pandemic, many universities and schools...

CU small businesses tackle COVID-19 challenges

By Shreya Goel, Staff Writer June 12, 2020

The global economy suffers the biggest hit in decades due to the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on small businesses in Champaign reflects this reality on a small scale.  Leslie Till, co-owner...

Students navigate job market during pandemic

By Sidney Madden, Staff Writer April 9, 2020

Kelli Smith, junior in AHS, was disappointed but not surprised when her summer internship at Marriott International was canceled. The hotel chain had furloughed thousands of workers in response to losing...

Ian Kidder posts a meme to the Facebook group

Facebook meme page connects students amid virus

By Sidney Madden, Staff Writer March 23, 2020

In the wake of social distancing efforts to combat COVID-19, college students are going to niche parts of the internet to connect with others. Some are opting to learn and post viral TikTok dances, others...

The Champaign Urbana Potters' Club studio located on 900 South Race Street in Urbana.

CU Potters’ Club offers creative outlet for community

By Anna Pevey, Senior Reporter March 11, 2020

With around 50 members who share the love of pottery, the local CU Potters' Club has been in the area for nearly 51 years. Currently, the club is located at 900 S. Race St. The Daily Illini spoke with...

Load More Stories