Sneakerheads for the sole: Students start shoe-rental business

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

October 8, 2019

The market for lifestyle sneakers has evolved and grown. This movement has inspired student entrepreneurs to create a shoe rental business on campus to fill a hole in the sneaker culture on campus. Cedric Vargas, senior in Engineering, and his partner Benoit Ortalo-Magne, junior in Engineering, have...

Tattoo parlor cultivates confidence, creativity

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

October 7, 2019

Jeremiah Mukanda has wanted tattoos since before he can remember.  “My mom and my grandpa both had tattoos, so I think it normalized it in my brain, and I was always going to have tattoos,” he said.  Mukanda, sophomore in Engineering, got his first tattoo at the age of 17. It was a simple stick-and-pok...

iClicker has revolutionized classes

iClicker has revolutionized classes

By Rohit Jammu, Staff Writer

September 24, 2019

Professor Tim Stelzer, a member of the research team that developed the iClicker, said lectures before the iClicker were very different.  “We had traditional lectures with no interaction whatsoever,” he said. “Then, we said we should break them up with clicker questions, but we didn’t have i...

PygHack tackles technological problems in CU

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Assistant Features Editor

September 23, 2019

Donte Winslow, a design strategist at the Siebel Center for Design, or SCD, works to create experiences that foster human-centered design. His latest project, PygHack, will bring people from all over Champaign-Urbana to design solutions to community problems. PygHack is Pygmalion’s annual community-wi...

Illini Formula Electric team gives students a head start, hands-on experience

By Jared Ebanks, Contributing Writer

April 29, 2019

On the northeastern edge of campus in a small shack behind the Loomis Laboratory of Physics, you can hear tires screeching, frantic conversing and the hum of a formula electric car. The shack is one of the testing areas for the Illini Formula Electric team. IFE is one of many race car and formula el...

Innovative students showcase talent at Tech Nest

By Annabelle Barnett, Contributing Writer

April 4, 2019

AARP's technology lab, The Tech Nest, at Research Park is a space where student contractors work on groundbreaking, technology-focused projects to answer some of society's biggest problems, including enhancing the lives of aging populations. AARP is a nonprofit organization that strives to benefit thos...

Campus brand representatives are social media savvy

By Jared Ebanks, Contributing Writer

April 3, 2019

Social media continues to change today’s marketing sphere, and, as a result, companies are employing social media savvy college students to influence campuses.  The Black Sheep is a satirical website and newspaper that has branches in several colleges across the country, and its media and marketing sect...

App simplifies traveling home for college students

By Amanda Rhee, Staff Writer

April 2, 2019

While transportation and ride-sharing apps are gaining popularity, many college students who don’t have cars are using them to get around places on and off campus. A new carpooling app called Wyth has been released exclusively for college students and is currently being piloted at the University. Ciara...

IllinoisVENTURES funds startups across University system

By Shreya Goel, Staff Writer

March 28, 2019

Tom Parkinson was looking for an opportunity to work with tech-based startups in a research university setting. He found IllinoisVENTURES and became the senior director of the program. IllinoisVENTURES  is a capital firm devoted to assisting entrepreneurs, including faculty, students and alumni from the three ...

Alumnus starts fashionable, practical boot brand

By Jared Ebanks, Contributing Writer

March 13, 2019

Matthew Walters, University alumnus, created his own lifestyle and hiking boot company, CODDI. The unique name of the company is a shortened version of the English word "coddiwomple," which means purposely traveling to an unknown destination. Beginning in the industrial design program at the University,...

Student hits home run with analytics

Student hits home run with analytics

By Nandika Chatterjee, Staff Writer

March 11, 2019

Before arriving at the University, Charlie Young never dreamed he would go into baseball. He became interested in baseball analytics after the Chicago Cubs won the World Series his freshman year. Illinois Baseball Analytics is a sort of subset of the baseball team that analyzes data for the...

Startup works to develop edible fruit-based vaccine

By Olivia Zhang, Contributing Writer

March 5, 2019

FruitVaccine, founded in 2017 at Research Park, is a company that has developed an edible fruit-based vaccine for human respiratory syncytial virus, delivering genetically modified plant products for adults and oral drops for infants. FruitVaccine is not the first team to research fruit-based vaccines,...

Next Page »