CU small businesses tackle COVID-19 challenges

By Shreya Goel, Staff Writer

June 12, 2020

The global economy suffers the biggest hit in decades due to the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on small businesses in Champaign reflects this reality on a small scale.  Leslie Till, co-owner of the 'Oh, Honey Pie' food truck, along with her husband Matt Doyle, said the greatest hit to thei...

Students navigate job market during pandemic

By Sidney Madden, Staff Writer

April 9, 2020

Kelli Smith, junior in AHS, was disappointed but not surprised when her summer internship at Marriott International was canceled. The hotel chain had furloughed thousands of workers in response to losing business due to the coronavirus.  Smith and college students across the country are figuring out their next steps as internships are ca...

Facebook meme page connects students amid virus

Ian Kidder posts a meme to the Facebook group

By Sidney Madden, Staff Writer

March 23, 2020

In the wake of social distancing efforts to combat COVID-19, college students are going to niche parts of the internet to connect with others. Some are opting to learn and post viral TikTok dances, others are hosting Zoom parties and many are turning to memes.  On a given week, Andy Zhou, senior in busine...

CU Potters’ Club offers creative outlet for community

The Champaign Urbana Potters' Club studio located on 900 South Race Street in Urbana.

By Anna Pevey, Senior Reporter

March 11, 2020

With around 50 members who share the love of pottery, the local CU Potters' Club has been in the area for nearly 51 years. Currently, the club is located at 900 S. Race St. The Daily Illini spoke with Cathy Cunningham, club historian, who has been involved with different organizational parts of the club,...

Cities do not wish to profit from parking meters

A man pays for his parking spot outside of Evo Cafe on Sixth Street on Nov. 15. Parking on campus will only be enforced from 5 a.m.-4 p.m from Nov. 4 to March 8.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

February 25, 2020

Cities have seen an increase in revenue from parking meters, especially since they first offered mobile parking apps to residents and visitors. The city of Champaign, Illinois, estimates 25% of its parking transactions come from the MobileMeter app, and the city of Evanston, Illinois, estimates tha...

Campus and city members react to state-wide cannabis legalization

People wait in line at Sunnyside Dispensary on Jan. 22, a cannabis dispensary located on 1704 S. Neil St. Following the legalization of recreational marijuana in the state of Illinois, the C-U community has taken a variety of stances on the topic.

By Tianbin Chen, Contributing Writer

February 13, 2020

On June 25, Governor Pritzker signed into law the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, which took effect Jan. 1. The act makes legal the cultivation, processing, transportation and sale of cannabis by individuals and businesses licensed by the state of Illinois. The act legalizes the purchase, use and poss...

Local businesses shine at Lovey Dovey Hootenanny Pop-Up

Emily McKown performing at the RoseBowl tavern on Monday.

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Assistant Features Editor

February 12, 2020

The Rose Bowl Tavern in Urbana was warmly lit as locals sat together to share a beer. Some gathered around the bar while others faced the stage, preparing for the live music of the weekly Urbana Hootenanny to begin. This week, however, booths were set up to the right of the stage for a special “Lovey...

Cleaning up: Two entrepreneurs profit from students’ dirty laundry

Cleaning up: Two entrepreneurs profit from students' dirty laundry

By Anna Pevey, Senior Reporter

February 5, 2020

When DJ and Bobby Boykin took over Student Valet in 2013, they had no idea how much they would impact the student population at the University. “We saw and heard the student population stressing and struggling over the laundry situations they were in, and we decided to take over Student Valet in...

Champaign percussionist to open teaching studio

Pictured above is Champaign percussion teacher Ian Anderson's drum kit.

By Features Staff

February 4, 2020

From marching with the Cavaliers' drumline to touring professionally, Ian Sheperd has played percussion for the last 20 years in every music setting imaginable. He's performed on hundreds of recordings such as full-length albums, video game soundtracks, commercials and albums. Now, Shepherd has taken...

From plants to energy: Sustainability RSO makes biodiesel out of soybeans

Safety officer Aakash Patel hugs the Illinois Biodiesel Initiative new 500-gallon batch processor. The organization is hoping to make the community more environomentally friendly.

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

January 21, 2020

The turn of the new decade has caused many professionals and activists to recommit to solving climate change, including the Illinois Biodiesel Initiative, an RSO that promotes sustainability on campus. IBI collects soybean oil from the Ikenberry Dining Hall and converts it to biodiesel fuel and soap. ...

Leader of iVenture Accelerator lands spot on Forbes 2020 30 Under 30

Manu Edakara, Associate Director of Entrepreneurial Communities for the Gies College of Business, speaks about his personal experiences as the leader of iVenture Accelerator at the BIF atrium on Monday. He earned the Forbes 30 Under 30 honor.

By Ethan Simmons, Senior Reporter

December 12, 2019

Manu Edakara is the associate director of Entrepreneurial Communities for the Gies College of Business and leader of its iVenture Accelerator, a resource beacon for student startups. iVenture takes no ownership stake in the startups it helps. Before that, the class of ‘14 Illinois graduate was a techno...

Art club voices frustration at University funding

Julia Morrison sells her artwork at The Collective Magazine's Fall 2018 Art Gallery at Chez Bon Bon.

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

December 10, 2019

When Chantal Vaca found out RSO funding was included in student fees, she was intrigued, especially because she’s a co-founder of The Collective, an arts magazine and RSO.  “I had no idea that each student paid a set amount on their fees to the University. It’s not something that has been ad...

Next Page »