UI Business student opens Shine Açaí

Zoe Hannon, sophomore in Business, presents her acai bowl in front of Foellinger Auditorium on Friday. Shine Acai opened this May.
November 2, 2020

Finally settled into the adjusted workload of online learning, students are able to find some sort of routine in the madness. For Zoe Hannon, sophomore in Business, there is always something going on between...

Small businesses work hard to serve their community

A worker at the Ye Olde Donut Shop checks out a customer on Wednesday morning.
October 7, 2020

In a time filled with so many unknowns, one thing a community can hope to rely on is the small businesses that provide their daily cup of coffee, health or beauty appointments or the special dinner they...

Tech conference, Reflections Projections goes virtual

Senior Vice President of Paypal Sri Shivananda poses for a professional photo. Shivananda was a keynote speaker at the Reflections / Projections conference.
September 30, 2020

Reflections|Projections (R|P) is an annual technological conference at the University. This year, the conference was held from Sept. 21 to 26. The conference invited notable guest speakers known for their...

FinalsClub app connects students even remotely

The creators of the FinalsClub app, Ravi Patel, Rishi Masand and Vedant Mehta pose for a photo in a Zoom call.
August 27, 2020

As students return to universities and schools across the nation, education systems are bracing for a resurgence of coronavirus cases in their communities. Due to the pandemic, many universities and schools...

CU small businesses tackle COVID-19 challenges

June 12, 2020

The global economy suffers the biggest hit in decades due to the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on small businesses in Champaign reflects this reality on a small scale.  Leslie Till, co-owner...

Students navigate job market during pandemic

April 9, 2020

Kelli Smith, junior in AHS, was disappointed but not surprised when her summer internship at Marriott International was canceled. The hotel chain had furloughed thousands of workers in response to losing...

Facebook meme page connects students amid virus

Ian Kidder posts a meme to the Facebook group
March 23, 2020

In the wake of social distancing efforts to combat COVID-19, college students are going to niche parts of the internet to connect with others. Some are opting to learn and post viral TikTok dances, others...

CU Potters’ Club offers creative outlet for community

The Champaign Urbana Potters' Club studio located on 900 South Race Street in Urbana.
March 11, 2020

With around 50 members who share the love of pottery, the local CU Potters' Club has been in the area for nearly 51 years. Currently, the club is located at 900 S. Race St. The Daily Illini spoke with...

Cities do not wish to profit from parking meters

A man pays for his parking spot outside of Evo Cafe on Sixth Street on Nov. 15. Parking on campus will only be enforced from 5 a.m.-4 p.m from Nov. 4 to March 8.
February 25, 2020

Cities have seen an increase in revenue from parking meters, especially since they first offered mobile parking apps to residents and visitors. The city of Champaign, Illinois, estimates 25% of its...

Campus and city members react to state-wide cannabis legalization

People wait in line at Sunnyside Dispensary on Jan. 22, a cannabis dispensary located on 1704 S. Neil St. Following the legalization of recreational marijuana in the state of Illinois, the C-U community has taken a variety of stances on the topic.
February 13, 2020

On June 25, Governor Pritzker signed into law the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, which took effect Jan. 1. The act makes legal the cultivation, processing, transportation and sale of cannabis by individuals...

Local businesses shine at Lovey Dovey Hootenanny Pop-Up

Emily McKown performing at the RoseBowl tavern on Monday.
February 12, 2020

The Rose Bowl Tavern in Urbana was warmly lit as locals sat together to share a beer. Some gathered around the bar while others faced the stage, preparing for the live music of the weekly Urbana Hootenanny...

Cleaning up: Two entrepreneurs profit from students’ dirty laundry

Cleaning up: Two entrepreneurs profit from students' dirty laundry
February 5, 2020

When DJ and Bobby Boykin took over Student Valet in 2013, they had no idea how much they would impact the student population at the University. “We saw and heard the student population stressing and...

Load more stories