Leader of iVenture Accelerator lands spot on Forbes 2020 30 Under 30

By Ethan Simmons, Senior Reporter

December 12, 2019

Manu Edakara is the associate director of Entrepreneurial Communities for the Gies College of Business and leader of its iVenture Accelerator, a resource beacon for student startups. iVenture takes no ownership stake in the startups it helps. Before that, the class of ‘14 Illinois graduate was a techno...

Art club voices frustration at University funding

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

December 10, 2019

When Chantal Vaca found out RSO funding was included in student fees, she was intrigued, especially because she’s a co-founder of The Collective, an arts magazine and RSO.  “I had no idea that each student paid a set amount on their fees to the University. It’s not something that has been ad...

Orphans Treasure Box helps orphanages, homeless shelters

By Zhuolin Joanna Liu, Contributing Writer

December 5, 2019

The cheerful doorbell rings again. Another visitor. A second after, the bookstore returns to silence, with only the rustling of pages flipping in the background. No music. Other than brochures and business cards on the counter, a white, marble Jesus Christ statuette catches attention. Away from the aust...

Student entrepreneur ecosystem combats lack of structure

By Ethan Simmons, Staff Writer

December 3, 2019

The entrepreneurship community at Illinois has plenty of resources but lacks connective tissue. According to entrepreneurship figures on campus, students stagnate while shuffling between these resources, inching closer to the dreaded “wantrepreneur” stereotype: All talk, no action. Manu Edakara...

Students wear sustainability on their sleeves

By Jared Ebanks , Staff Writer

November 26, 2019

Mantas Treciokas and Thimira Bandara, sophomore in LAS, grew up childhood friends, but hadn’t stayed in touch since playing on the same basketball team together in 5th grade. Going into their junior year of high school, Treciokas reached out to his old friend to catch up.  Their shared interests...

Metaphysical store sells crystals, alternative healing practices

By Carmen Martinez, Staff Writer

November 25, 2019

On the corner of Water and Broadway sits Beads N Botanicals, a metaphysical store offering customers guidance, crystals and art. Unlike other shops in the area, the store hosts tarot card readings, healing work and hypnotherapy sessions.  Catherine Novak, a certified medicinal herbalist and Reiki master in two different ...

New food delivery app expands options to CU

By Banu Gulecyuz, Staff Writer

November 5, 2019

In the era of efficiency and fast food, students are constantly on the look-out for the quickest way to fill their stomachs with delicious meals. However, amid the midst of ordering quick meals, just how easy is it to access an authentic Asian meal? A relatively new downloadable app on campus, Chowbus, has bee...

Sneakerheads for the sole: Students start shoe-rental business

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

October 8, 2019

The market for lifestyle sneakers has evolved and grown. This movement has inspired student entrepreneurs to create a shoe rental business on campus to fill a hole in the sneaker culture on campus. Cedric Vargas, senior in Engineering, and his partner Benoit Ortalo-Magne, junior in Engineering, have...

Tattoo parlor cultivates confidence, creativity

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

October 7, 2019

Jeremiah Mukanda has wanted tattoos since before he can remember.  “My mom and my grandpa both had tattoos, so I think it normalized it in my brain, and I was always going to have tattoos,” he said.  Mukanda, sophomore in Engineering, got his first tattoo at the age of 17. It was a simple stick-and-pok...

iClicker has revolutionized classes

iClicker has revolutionized classes

By Rohit Jammu, Staff Writer

September 24, 2019

Professor Tim Stelzer, a member of the research team that developed the iClicker, said lectures before the iClicker were very different.  “We had traditional lectures with no interaction whatsoever,” he said. “Then, we said we should break them up with clicker questions, but we didn’t have i...

PygHack tackles technological problems in CU

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Assistant Features Editor

September 23, 2019

Donte Winslow, a design strategist at the Siebel Center for Design, or SCD, works to create experiences that foster human-centered design. His latest project, PygHack, will bring people from all over Champaign-Urbana to design solutions to community problems. PygHack is Pygmalion’s annual community-wi...

Illini Formula Electric team gives students a head start, hands-on experience

By Jared Ebanks, Contributing Writer

April 29, 2019

On the northeastern edge of campus in a small shack behind the Loomis Laboratory of Physics, you can hear tires screeching, frantic conversing and the hum of a formula electric car. The shack is one of the testing areas for the Illini Formula Electric team. IFE is one of many race car and formula el...

Next Page »