Booming crypto scene makes its way to students

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer July 14, 2021

Since the 2017 burst of Bitcoin into the mainstream, going from shady underground currency to SNL jokes, the cryptocurrency scene has only grown more chaotic. Several dozen other coins have exploded onto...

A screenshot of the Vrtumind app is shown above. Students at the University created the app to fight against mental health issues.

Student-created apps tackle declining mental health

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer June 8, 2021

University students are creating apps to help support mental health in young adults as researchers find more and more evidence for depression and anxiety during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.  Nolan...

Dr. Girish Chowdharys autonomous agriculture robot roams through a field of crops. Chowdhary and students at the University have developed robots to mimic games of capture the flag.

Students develop robots based on capture the flag

By Olivia Vamos, Staff Writer May 21, 2021

Capture the flag, the game children play at recess, is the inspiration for robotic research at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  The research is usually held in the Field Robotics, Engineering...

University Alum uses TikTok to help students land jobs

By Alexis Lazaro, Contributing Writer March 4, 2021

It’s no secret that one of the most dreaded aspects of the undergraduate experience is successfully securing a career after graduation. From writing the perfect resumé to networking with other alumni...

Datamatch forges love connections on campus

By Matt Troher, Assistant Longform Editor February 12, 2021

Love is in the air. Or, perhaps, love is in the algorithm. Datamatch, an online match-making service oriented around Valentine’s Day, was developed, like many tech startups — at Harvard University....

The Planters Peanutters wave from the Peanut Mobile while on the road. Tyler Towne, one of the peanutters, along with his coworkers recently made a stop in Champaign.

Peanutters program shells out a good time

By Elizabeth Sayasane, Features Editor February 4, 2021

Every year, nine recent college graduates pack up their belongings and hop aboard one of the three Planters Peanuts NUT mobiles for one year. This peanut-shaped vehicle is bright yellow and travels across...

Allergenius Baking Co starts up students business experience

Allergenius Baking Co starts up students’ business experience

By Lily Dolan, Staff Writer December 2, 2020

The startup community at the University has drawn attention from all across the country. A number of incredibly successful businesses have found their start in the halls of The Union or within University...

Zoe Hannon, sophomore in Business, presents her acai bowl in front of Foellinger Auditorium on Friday. Shine Acai opened this May.

UI Business student opens Shine Açaí

By Catherine Pavilionis, Contributing Writer November 2, 2020

Finally settled into the adjusted workload of online learning, students are able to find some sort of routine in the madness. For Zoe Hannon, sophomore in Business, there is always something going on between...

A worker at the Ye Olde Donut Shop checks out a customer on Wednesday morning.

Small businesses work hard to serve their community

By Catherine Pavilionis, Contributing Writer October 7, 2020

In a time filled with so many unknowns, one thing a community can hope to rely on is the small businesses that provide their daily cup of coffee, health or beauty appointments or the special dinner they...

Senior Vice President of Paypal Sri Shivananda poses for a professional photo. Shivananda was a keynote speaker at the Reflections / Projections conference.

Tech conference, Reflections Projections goes virtual

By Nandika Chatterjee, Staff Writer September 30, 2020

Reflections|Projections (R|P) is an annual technological conference at the University. This year, the conference was held from Sept. 21 to 26. The conference invited notable guest speakers known for their...

The creators of the FinalsClub app, Ravi Patel, Rishi Masand and Vedant Mehta pose for a photo in a Zoom call.

FinalsClub app connects students even remotely

By Zainab Qureshi, Longform Editor August 27, 2020

As students return to universities and schools across the nation, education systems are bracing for a resurgence of coronavirus cases in their communities. Due to the pandemic, many universities and schools...

CU small businesses tackle COVID-19 challenges

By Shreya Goel, Staff Writer June 12, 2020

The global economy suffers the biggest hit in decades due to the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on small businesses in Champaign reflects this reality on a small scale.  Leslie Till, co-owner...

Load More Stories