Competition heats up Canopy Club

Leslie Johnson sings Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar at the U of Idol karaoke contest at The Canopy Club on Tuesday. The contest features a live karaoke band for contestants to perform with. The Canopy Club is located at 708 S. Goodwin in Ur Tedd Anderson

Leslie Johnson sings “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar at the U of Idol karaoke contest at The Canopy Club on Tuesday. The contest features a live karaoke band for contestants to perform with. The Canopy Club is located at 708 S. Goodwin in Ur Tedd Anderson

By Martha Spalding

There have probably been enough off-key renditions of the Radiohead song “Creep” to last karaoke fanatics a lifetime. But for judges and audience members at Tuesday night’s U of Idol competition, Jesse Atkinson, a 26-year-old resident of Champaign, rocked the song.

Judges complimented Atkinson on his rocker attitude and overall great performance. Atkinson sang so well, that at the end of the night he was selected by the judges as one of five finalists out of ten performers that night.

“My friend told me about the competition, and I thought, ‘Why not compete?'” he said. “And now I’m in the finals, how can I complain?”

Beginning at 10 p.m., the first of three qualifying rounds to find the next “U of Idol” kicked off at the Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave.

Ten contestants, who were selected from open auditions earlier in the month, tried to outsing each other for five spots that would land them a place in the final competition on March 14.

The four judges chose the five finalists from Tuesday night and then the audience chose one winner.

Mike Bray, a 20-year-old resident from Mahomet, received the loudest cheers from the audience and was given a grill for winning. Bray sang the Stone Temple Pilots’ “Plush,” while wearing a knit hat and ripped jeans.

“I love singing,” he said. “You could say it is my passion in life.”

The judges seemed to love Bray’s performance and said nothing but good things about his “grunge vibe.” One female judge even called Bray the “cutest thing in the whole wide world.”

Even though Bray may have won Tuesday night’s competition, he’s not letting it go to his head.

“It was so awesome to win,” he said. ‘But it’s even better to have all my friends here supporting me.”

The four other finalists chosen last night were Atkinson, Crystal Kate, Leslie Johnson, and Nora Leval, who sang Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet.”

Leval, a student at Parkland College, said singing is something she’s done since she was young. She almost tried out for the nationwide American Idol, but schoolwork got in the way.

“I really wanted to try out for American Idol,” she said. “But I had a test that day so I couldn’t. But I think this is close enough.”

For Leval, the competition isn’t all about winning. During her performance, there was a large group of her friends cheering her on and holding up a multi-colored poster adorned with cutout stars that read, “We love you Nora.”

“It’s an amazing feeling to have so many people want to come and support you,” she said. “For me, this is all about having a good time.”

Leval also said she that it wasn’t difficult for her to perform on stage with a live band because she has done karaoke and been in so many plays. She is so devoted to music that she hopes to someday incorporate music into the classroom as she studies to work with special education children.

Before the night came to a close at 1 a.m., an hour after the posted time, audience members were able to have one more shot at becoming the next U of Idol by entering as a Wildcard.

As a Wildcard, members of the community can perform for the judges and if they qualify, they will be notified by email and asked to return.

“U of Idol” will be accepting Wildcard applicants for the next two weeks during the regular competition on Tuesdays.

For Kate, one of the finalists, trying out for the competition was mostly about having fun and proving to herself she could do it.

“I used to watch the American Idol competition on television,” Kate said. “I realized I can’t make fun of them without trying it myself.”

The next performances for the “U of Idol” competition will be held at 10 p.m. at the Canopy Club on Tuesday Feb. 28.