WPGU revamps news coverage

Josh Birnbaum

Josh Birnbaum

By Jenn Rourke

University students hear about news in many different ways. Often the source is other students – the Daily Illini and other student-produced newspapers, the blogs of friends, class discussions and cafeteria conversation – all disseminate news throughout the campus.

WPGU-FM, 107.1, which is a subsidiary of the Illini Media Company, the parent company of The Daily Illini, is broadening the scope of student-run news with its Sunday afternoon news show, “The Week That Was,” a student-produced and hosted show which covers the gamut, but focuses on campus news and odd stories from around the country.

“The Week That Was” (TWTW) is the brainchild of a news staff led by Jon Hansen, now senior in Communications; it started about two years ago. While the show started finding its niche last semester with Hansen at the helm, this semester brings a new approach to content, said producer Joe Lamberson, sophomore in business. He said TWTW is talking about what students are talking about.

“Our show has something that other talk radio shows lack – an edge that you can only find with a crew as committed to the news and information . as we are,” Lamberson said.

The crew Lamberson references includes the lead host and the show’s only returning host from last semester, Matt Brickman, junior in Communications. Mike Zande, senior in LAS, was recruited from WPGU’s DJ staff to join the news team and Lindsay Hartshorn, junior in Communications, was formerly an assistant producer and entertainment reporter and was promoted to host.

Hartshorn said she is dedicated to keeping the show lighthearted and relevant to campus issues.

“I mean, do you really care about the judicial race or whatever (is) going on in D.C.?” she said. “No. See we don’t really either. We’d rather make you guys laugh or talk about fun stuff going on around town.”

Brickman said he expects the show to sound different than it has in the past.

“The biggest change. is we’re going to move away from talking about national and international news stories,” he said. “It’s going to be a show where the average student can tune in and immediately follow the discussion and feel like they can be a part of it.”

Each host has a different area of interest and knowledge. Brickman for example, said he loves to talk about science and technology news.

“A lot of the things that are coming out now are just completely ludicrous,” he said. “iPod-compatible jeans for example. it’s fun to rant for several minutes while thinking secretly how cool it’d be to have a pair for myself.”

Hartshorn, a California native, said she still revels in Hollywood gossip, even if her male co-hosts tease her for it.

“The boys think it’s funny how excited I get about talking smack about all these people I don’t know,” she said. “But I guess when you are so innocent, like me, and never talk bad about your friends, you need a little guilty pleasure.”

“Her only downfall, perhaps because of her California zip code, is her infatuation with the Jen-Brad-Angelina saga,” Brickman said. “I really couldn’t care less about it, and I want them all to go away.”

It’s that kind of playful animosity that the hosts hope will keep listeners interested. Hartshorn said she often pulls in the reins on her envelope-pushing co-hosts.

“I try to keep them in check, or else the show would have way too much sex and alcohol in it,” she said.

The show features a wide range of weekly segments, including a health segment with an educator from McKinley Health Center; the “Beef of the Week,” which allows the on-air talent to gripe about what made them mad in the last seven days; and Mike Zande’s “The Week That Wasn’t” segment, wherein he writes up obviously-fake stories, purely for amusement.

Recent guests on the show have included Miss Illinois, Lauren Allen; University President B. Joseph White and show creator Jon Hansen at the start of the Winter Olympics, live from Italy where he is studying abroad this semester.

“We may come off to some as a bunch of hung-over college kids,” Lamberson said. “But to those looking for the top source in news you care about, we’re the folks to listen to.”

“The Week That Was” airs Sunday afternoons from 1-3 p.m. on 107.1 FM.