Want to get involved? First stop, Quad day

By Frank Radosevich II

With approximately 1,200 registered student organizations to choose from, finding out who to get involve with during the next four years can be daunting. Sure, one group may sound like fun, but what are its time commitments, activities or responsibilities? And who has the time to look through all 1,200 just to find the right one?

Luckily for the overwhelmed or curious student, there is Quad Day, when the RSOs come to you.

Quad Day, an annual tradition at the University for more than 30 years, provides students a chance to see and sample firsthand the wide range of organizations, sport clubs and interest groups active on campus.

This year’s Quad Day is scheduled to take place Aug. 22 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m at the main campus area, nicknamed “the Quad.”

Officially, Quad Day serves two purposes. Fist, new students who are unfamiliar with campus life can gain exposure to new opportunities and activities at the University. Second, existing RSOs can market their group or message to the student body and recruit new members for the coming school year.

Organizations, filling up one of 600 spots total, set up booths on the Quad where student can circulate freely among them. Those interested in a certain group can speak with members, ask nagging questions, read their displays or even join the group on the spot. Quad Day also permits the clubs to showcase some of what they do. Large collapsible stages near the Illini Union and Foellinger supply groups with a space to perform or broadcast their message.

RSOs wanting to participant in Quad day must submit an application along with a $15 fee usually in early April.

Besides student-led organizations there are also various departments, academic units and offices present on Quad day, such as the Study Abroad Office or Campus Recreation. In addition, nonprofit service organizations from the local community, like the Red Cross or the United Way, come to show students opportunities found off campus.

Brooks Moore, director of registered student organizations, urges incoming students to stop by and get involved.

“Quad Day is a must stop for all freshmen,” Moore said.