Students enjoy fall weather

Grad student Carrie Dickison waits for a bus outside the Illini Union Bookstore on Tuesday afternoon. Dickison said that the warm October day was a welcome change from Seattle weather that she is used to. Suzanne Stelmasek The Daily Illini

By Sadiya Ahmed

Erin Jacobsen, sophomore in LAS, sought refuge under a shaded tree, ingeniously transforming her backpack into a portable pillow. Lying on the expansive green carpet of the Quad, she smiled, welcoming the unusual visit from the sun.

“You definitely have to look at the weather before you decide what to wear,” said Jacobsen while putting away her notebook. “I am in a meteorology class right now and my professor was saying that temperatures were at an all-time high. The weather allows you to have a very expansive wardrobe.”

Just five feet away from her, Graham Kolb, junior in AHS, tried his luck on outdoor slacklining, determined to take advantage of the opportune weather with his friends.

“When you have nice weather, it gives you an opportunity to play sports like this,” Kolb said..

The state climatologist, Jim Angel, explained that the average high and low temperatures this month are 65 and 43 degrees. According to the Midwest Climate Center, there will be very little chance of precipitation.

Angel said temperatures ranged from an average high of 78 degrees Fahrenheit to an average low of 55 degrees in September. There was also a total of 1.34 inches of rain, which was two inches below the average. The browning of grass and leaves is an indication of a dry September month.

“During this time of year temperatures always jump around,” Angel said. “October is a month of big changes. There is always fairly humid air traveling from the south while a cold front comes in from Canada.”

Unfortunately, not all students could afford to enjoy the pleasant weather.

“I should be chilling out at the Quad and throwing Frisbees like the rest of them,” said Carrie Murrow, graduate student and Moonstruck Cafe employee, as she diligently poured out a tall Chai latte for an eager customer…

“Everyone’s been buying their coffee and running out the door,” Murrow said. The students rushing in and out with their gourmet coffee and cappuccino felt a sense of energy.

Back at the Quad, Keisha Guangko, sophomore in LAS, was all smiles about the pleasant temperature.

“It’s funny how the weather has something new in store for us everyday,” Guangko said.