Bars fill up despite finals

Jennifer Kim, second from right, laughs with friend Karla Melendez, second from left, both graduate students, at Cowboy Monkey in downtown Champaign on Friday night with friends Sara Beal, right, alumnus, and Andreas Ehmann, left, also a graduate student. Josh Birnbaum The Daily Illini

By Julian Scharman

During the final stretch of the academic semester, some students find solace at a local bar “where everybody knows your name.” And with finals week upon us, students are finding ways to get their nose off the academic grindstone and get out.

The campus and off-campus bar scene can be considered a remedy for book-savvy students, but the managerial staff doesn’t foresee a change in business patterns.

“Business during finals week is relatively steady compared to what most people would think,” said Rory Langfeld, general manager of Cochrane Enterprises (which includes CO Daniel’s, the Clybourne, Firehaus, Station 211 and the new FuBar). “Students have different finals schedules, which accounts for a small, yet steady flow of business throughout the week.”

Langfeld added that there will be extra off-duty staff who may be called upon if necessary.

Even in the event that there is a flux in the number of students and local residents going out at any point during the week, nothing structurally will change.

“If a ton of people show up, it will not likely change the manner in how we handle the lines,” said Tunji Yusuf, a doorman at CO Daniel’s, responsible for managing incoming customers.

Some students believe that the bar scene during finals week can vary because of dissimilar exam schedules.

“I feel like a finals bar night comes together at the last night, rather than being a planned event,” said Lynch. “I see the finals bar scene as a guilty pleasure or maybe a reward.”

Lynch added that the stigma of going out during finals week exists because of the week’s association with intense studying, even if a student has a lot of free time.

Over the Christmas recess many students find it comfortable and convenient to come down from Chicago and their respective cities to get together on New Years Eve in Champaign. Bars expect a lot of activity during this holiday, mostly because of the 19-year-old age requirement and lower prices than most major cities, including Chicago, said Langfeld.